Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Angle between thread holder and blank ?

Eben

If you have a look at my stands, you will see the spool is on the bottom, but that the thread runs from the spool up to the sections of tips of rods, and then at an angle down to the blank. The rod-tips provide tension while wrapping, so that if you have to reverse a little, you don't lose tension on the thread. The angle is important because the less of an angle, the more you cannot see where you are wrapping. You want the main thread coming from the spool or rod tips (or pianowire with tips) to be in front of you while wrapping, to see what's going on (obviously), and to be able to grip it easily with your thumb when tying off. Any angle will do really...as long as it's between horisontal and vertical (the thread coming down to the blank, and a little away from the blank. As soon as you dip below the horisontal mark, and the thread comes from behind and below the blank, you are going to have difficulties seeing what's going on and controlling the thread when you want to finish off.

Hope this helps. For interest sake...I haven't measured the angle...but I guess it at about 35 to 40 degrees. Just do what's comfortable for you. Put your blank in the stands, and take a piece of thread. Pinch the one end onto the blank with your left hand thumb, and pull it tight with your other hand...hold it back away from you and the blank at an angle...and slightly up. Change the angle and you will soon see what will suit you best.

Regards
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    But then you have no control over the angle of the thread, as it is wrapped onto the rod blank.
    The thread will be wrapped with inconsistent angles onto the blank. The forces applied onto the carbon fibres will not be equally dispersed into the tubelar structure of the blank, which will lead to blanks exploding.
    In other words never let Mario build you a rod....

Just kidding...there is a very well known rod builder in the States, who has been building rods for two decades, and has always wrapped by hand, with the thread being tensioned under his thigh, between his thigh and the chair. So it can be done...I just find it easier to use a stand...to get my wrap tensions equal.

regards
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    But then you have no control over the angle of the thread, as it is wrapped onto the rod blank.
    The thread will be wrapped with inconsistent angles onto the blank. The forces applied onto the carbon fibres will not be equally dispersed into the tubelar structure of the blank, which will lead to blanks exploding.
    Some might take this seriously, so I'll end by saying that THAT is why machine made products are far superior
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Some might take this seriously, so I'll end by saying that THAT is why machine made products are far superior
    especially human machines.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    In other words never let Mario build you a rod....
    Jap, get Mike to build it for your people - spacers as well

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Just kidding...there is a very well known rod builder in the States, who has been building rods for two decades, and has always wrapped by hand, with the thread being tensioned under his thigh, between his thigh and the chair. So it can be done...I just find it easier to use a stand...to get my wrap tensions equal.
    I find that wrapping by hand gives me better results and is far more satisfying than the "mechanical" action of a wrapper stand/device. Works for me. Bobbin in one hand, rod in other.

Neil (oh mechanical deity of mine), what effect does tension (too much/too little) of the thread have on the blank itself??
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

About 2N of thread tension should be about right Mario.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post

A Newton is the SI unit of force. To be precise, a Newton is defined as the amount of force required to make a mass of one kilogram accelerate by 1 meter per second per second

2N? so bietjie rof, of wat?
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

thanks boys

Mike what you say makes sense.

Mario - going to try the stand first, maybe on rod no 10 I will start experimenting with hand wrapping

Mr Rowe - what can we say about your contributions here
    Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery element are made for wise men to contemplate, and for fools to pass by without consideration - Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    I imagine mine varies from about 1.9765 to 2.10472 - am I still OK? I'd hate to implode my blank due to winding too tight????
    Mario Geldenhuys

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Mike what you say makes sense.

Mario - going to try the stand first, maybe on rod no 10 I will start experimenting with hand wrapping
    Eben, as mentioned, it all depends on the angle at which you sit in relation to your blank. All you have to be able to see is where the thread runs "onto" the blank. Re-read my initial reply
    Mario Geldenhuys

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast