Thread: Rust de Winter dam

Default Rust de Winter dam

Hey guys. Have you guys fished Rust de winter dam before on fly?

I have only fished there with spinbait for bass. Some nice fish. Are going to try get them on fly this time. Going there early next month.

Have you okes got any tips for fishing rdw? Saw some nice tilapia there as well. Want to try to trick them as well. Any tips on these buggers?

Is it possible to get to the inlet of the dam (Elands river) without a boat. Want to get some yellows there. Pressume they would be bushveld largescales right?

Cheers

Jacques, having never fished that dam before either, I would do the following:
    Use the search function for: Rust de Winter: Bass : Tilapia, = 3 seperate searches. Read African Flyfishing Handbook by Bill Hansford Steel. Read Favoured Flies and Techniques of the Experts.
    Rely on my previous bait/artlure fishing experience and hope I get it right on the day.

Last resort, pay a guide to show me how, ( if I could find one ).

Sorry I could not give you specifics, but as I said I have never been there before, but I hope the other tips have helped.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Jacques

You can fish for a variety of fish in Rust de Winter.....
    They have Bass, Kurper, Carp, Barbel, Yellows and the fabled dwarf tigerfish.

It is Largescale Yellows you will find. The whole dam are full of them. If you can see risers you are in on some action. The best bet to fish this dam is to fish from a boat. Do not, I repeat do not wade these waters!!!! There are some monster crocs and hippo!

I reckon you could fish bays from a boat and use either a floating or intermediate line and fish nymphs for LS Yellows. The kurper are very skittish. Try and stay out of sight and you will hook them on nymphs, walkers killers and even on the odd bloodworm imitation.

The bass can be caught on poppers, wooly buggers and most of the comercially tied bass flies.

I am fishing Rust de Winter later on this year. Waiting for the mid-summer sun where the Kurper are close to the surface. I also want to prospect the water for LS Yellows.

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Koos

PS: I have seen big LS Yellows come out of this dam... all caught on pap!

What are the ablution facilities like at Rust de Winter ? Should I consider a DIY ablution if going there with my family ?

Quote Originally Posted by CraigK View Post
    What are the ablution facilities like at Rust de Winter ? Should I consider a DIY ablution if going there with my family ?

None I am afraid

Quote Originally Posted by 1in10 View Post
    None I am afraid
    Unconfirmed rumour has it that the dam closed for public the past weekend.

I did see photo's of big bass been taken in the past 2 weeks.

I am up for a go, look, see - must take 5 days leave during September -
    Dry lines don't catch fish!

Watch out for the crocs.