Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fly Rod Give-Away

Linux is for okes who have time to sit and play nice with their machines, I'm not knocking it but I don't have time to bugger around trying to make things work all the time.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Linux is for okes who have time to sit and play nice with their machines, I'm not knocking it but I don't have time to bugger around trying to make things work all the time.
    Hehehe, no way man, install and leave! It's Windoze that requires all the SPs, hotfixes and security updates

MyWorld!!!!! Where are you?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Hehehe, no way man, install and leave! It's Windoze that requires all the SPs, hotfixes and security updates

MyWorld!!!!! Where are you?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Yeah but windows does all that stuff for you when you are sleeping and I can get drivers for all the hardware in my machine as well as peripherals - nothing beats the ball-ache of getting a bluetooth modem in your mobile phone to work in Linux...
    Last edited by Byron; 27-08-08 at 04:35 PM.

He probably hasn't seen this message as he's a Linuxvirus..

(My first ever attempt at a computer joke..)
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Yeah but windows does all that stuff for you when you are sleeping and I can get drivers for all the hardware in my machine as well as peripherals - nothing beats the ball-ache of getting a bluetooth modem in your mobile phone to work in Linux...
    Oh, ok .... Must be lucky then ...
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Chris this is why windows works, becuase if you where using linux would you know how to fix this...

Windows would just fix it with an update and you'd be back on track.

Linux under 'active attack'

The US Computer Emergency Readiness Team (CERT) US-CERT is warning that Linux-based systems are under "active attack" using compromised SSH keys.

The attack appears to initially use stolen SSH keys to gain access to a system, and then uses local kernel exploits to gain root access. Once root access has been obtained, a rootkit known as "phalanx2" is installed.

Phalanx2 appears to be a derivative of an older rootkit and is likely to be based on the Debian Random number generator flaw that appeared earlier this year.

The reduce the risks, US-CERT suggests administrators:

# Proactively identify and examine systems where SSH keys are used as part of automated processes. These keys will typically not have passphrases or passwords.

# Encourage users to use the keys with passphrase or passwords to reduce the risk if a key is compromised.

# Review access paths to Internet facing systems and ensure that systems are fully patched.

For systems already compromised by this, US-CERT recommends that administrators:

# Disable key-based SSH authentication on the affected systems, where possible.

# Perform an audit of all SSH keys on the affected systems.

# Notify all key owners of the potential compromise of their keys.

Source: Iol

... anyway enough of the OS p!ssing war, I don't do these.

Use whatever works for you that's what I do. Even some of the hardcore geeks I know have gone back to windows, and mac.

... anyway enough of the OS p!ssing war, I don't do these.

Use whatever works for you that's what I do. Even some of the hardcore geeks I know have gone back to windows, and mac.
    Not a war dude, called "winding"

I'm forced to use Windoze at work, so I'm not a Linux Prophet. Also, the geeks who left Nix for Windoze can't be THAT hardcore then - once again, just "winding"!
    Mario Geldenhuys

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Not a war dude, called "winding"

I'm forced to use Windoze at work, so I'm not a Linux Prophet. Also, the geeks who left Nix for Windoze can't be THAT hardcore then - once again, just "winding"!
    I'll try it out when I've tied all the flies I need and caught all the fish I want to catch... and it fekken works with bluetooth.

PS... sorrry about the thread hijack, I take full responsiblity (the rods are gone so it's open season in this thread IMHO)

I'll try it out when I've tied all the flies I need and caught all the fish I want to catch... and it fekken works with bluetooth.
    blootoof is for okes who cannot hack into a largescale wireless network with a coathanger and some bubblegum ...

Last 2 pics ...

XP runs smoothly at last .... out of a Linux Shell
    Mario Geldenhuys

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast