Thread: Bass - Pretoria and surrounds

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Bass - Pretoria and surrounds

Anyone got some tips on good areas for Bass around Pretoria. Tried Vasfontein Bass Estate this weekend but didn't have much luck. How about the bigger dams? Want to take another shot at it this Sunday.

The closest “large” dam worth trying is Bronkhorstpruit, I’ve heard some good numbers of bass being caught there the last few months.

Roodeplaat use to have some good bass but that’s a no go, it’s totally un-fishable due to hyacinth, plus when the dam was fishable there was blue green algae which use to make the guys sick.

If you are willing to drive further than that, then there is a large range of dams available to you such as de Rust and the likes.
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

If you blanked at vasfontein you will blank at every other dam in Pretoria itself - not being nasty but the dams have an incredibly high population of bass in even in the worst conditions you can catch at least 2 or 3 in a day.

Your best bet would be witbank dam or rust de winter but both of these are approxiamately an hour away from Pretoria but they both have a very good population of smaller bass. Smaller bass are perfect targets for fly as they shoal and dont really stick to cover that closely.
    Check your knots!

Doesn't do my self image very good to hear that Jock0 Ah well, at least no one else caught any bass yesterday either so I'll take some comfort in that.

Thanks for the reply guys, I think Bronhorstspruit sounds like a good idea for Sunday. Gael, are there any specific spots around the dam one should favour?

Quote Originally Posted by Gael View Post
    If you are willing to drive further than that, then there is a large range of dams available to you such as de Rust and the likes.

Sorry, that previous comment of de rust was suppose to be Rust de Winter (had Harties on the brain)

Don’t worry too much if you blanked at Vasfontein, the only time I’ve been there I had to work really hard for my 1 fish. The water does get allot of pressure sometimes, especially at school holidays like now and the fish can be very weary sometimes.

There is a little handbook that came out not long ago, it’s called something like Bass Dams of Southern African, it’s very good as it provides maps, suggested lures and a rating on the fishing quality.

Having a boat or a float tube would also be very helpful so that you can fish in front of reeds and the likes away from the public area’s, you’re bound to also run into a couple of carp in these area’s away from the public which are also willing to take a fly.
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Gael View Post
    de rust was suppose to be Rust de Winter

Thanks Gael, I caught that. I'll definitely look out for that book you mentioned. The tube is definitely coming with on the already planned trip. Time is booked and calls have been made. Thanks a lot
    Last edited by wernerm; 08-01-07 at 04:13 PM.

Please dont use a float tube at Rust de Winter, Flag Boshielo etc! If you do please add me to your will as I could use some extra fly fishing gear...
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Please dont use a float tube at Rust de Winter
    Thanks, don't think I will. Not too keen on getting bitten in half this early in the year.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.