Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Felt soled boots banned from October

Default Felt soled boots banned from October

Hey all,

If you are planning a trip to New Zealand at any stage, please take not of the following:

"The Minister of Conservation agreed in principle last week with a Fish & Game New Zealand submission to ban the use of felt soled wading boots for freshwater fishing. The ban, yet to be approved and included in the proposed 2008/09 Anglers Notice for Fish and Game Regions, will be effective from 1 October 2008, and applies to freshwater sports fishing anglers in all New Zealand waterways, except those within the Taupo Fishery"

I wonder if the same approach can help SA with the spread of rock snot / old mans beard?

Aqua Stealth boots are still allowed.
    Btw, I have a pair Simms Freestones with probably 40 or 50 hours on them, so they are still new. If you're interested, email me daryl@theflyfisher.co.za, I'll take R500, but you will need to pay the shipping on them. They are size 8, and will fit if you normally wear a size 8 shoe.

Dizz
    Last edited by dizzy; 27-08-08 at 09:51 AM.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Hi Dizz

Why don't you get the felt removed and replaced with aquastealth?

Then you can keep your boots......
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post

They are size 8, and will fit if you wear a size shoe normally.

Dizz

And what happens if we wear our shoes ABnormally??

sorry, i'm probably a bit slow this morning....but what does the felt do that's wrong?
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    There always has to be 1 clever tjop!
    Yip There is always 1

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    sorry, i'm probably a bit slow this morning....but what does the felt do that's wrong?
    The felt did nothing wrong, they are just guilty as charged.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    Rols

There is always a possibility of bacteria and infectious items remaining in the felt of one's boots. This can then be transfered from one fishery to the next.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

ha ha korrie, reading it again i see how silly i worded it. Thanks Mario makes sense i suppose.
    cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Rols
    The felt is a very porous material.
    So micro organism can easily penetrate it and stay there for a very long period of time.
    Also they stay wet for a long time. The micro organism then can survive for a long period in the wet and cosy environment.
    So if you fish one river with harmful bacteria, it gets lodged in your felt soles, A week later you go and fish another river system, you can translocate the harmful bacteria to the new river system. THen the bacteria wipes out the whole trout population there. SO everybody blames your felt soled boots for the infestation.

So the felt did nothing wrong, its is the bacteria who done all bad things.

That is also 1000 posts from me.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

daryl ,
    theres a company in c.t. that does aqua stealth rubber soles. i had my one pair of felts converted to aqua stealth . the problem is you must send them your shoes as they do not sell the rubber to the public and they charge about R300 for the job. call ggy for the company name & number as i forgot all that info.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast