Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Cape Trout Syndicate - membership

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    HI Chris,

No we only stocked rainbows this year again. Would like to only stock browns next year.

Dave
    Browns are much more cannibalistic than rainbows....they are going to need lots of fodder fish to get big and fat, and the bigger and fatter they get, the more they'll be wanting. This is what I am banking on!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Rendier View Post
    Hi Chris,

I'm no graphics guru, but here's an idea I have for the logo. Excuse the mountian...not easy to draw in MS Paint
    Looks gr8 , just the mountain could use some work.

Chris , will they shock with the weather looking the way it is this weekend ?

Quote Originally Posted by croozer View Post
    Looks gr8 , just the mountain could use some work.

Chris , will they shock with the weather looking the way it is this weekend ?
    I doubt it, in which case we will just have to try and catch most of the carp out over time. The stocking permit has already been issued for next week
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Browns are much more cannibalistic than rainbows....they are going to need lots of fodder fish to get big and fat, and the bigger and fatter they get, the more they'll be wanting. This is what I am banking on!
    I see what you are getting at Chris, the problem is that the carp that get left and breed also get bigger. The bigger they get the more damage they do. Trout cant survive or feed in the muddy conditions that eventually occur. Shocking or stunning the carp only works in shallowish waters, hence my concern to the depth of this water.

We had to pump the dam nearly dry to eradicate the carp, leaving only a muddy sludge which was then also dredged for carp. If any carp or eggs survived, the trout now have a better small fry to eat. Luckily as well the rains came and when we stocked in July, the dam was clear and overflowing.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    I doubt it, in which case we will just have to try and catch most of the carp out over time. The stocking permit has already been issued for next week
    So are you planning to just stock the trout with the Carp?
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    So are you planning to just stock the trout with the Carp?
    Yip, as per Korrie's suggestion. The more I have been reading up about the coexistance of the two, the one providing fodder fish to the other, the more I'm liking the idea. Trophy browns are what i am after, and the carp will provide plenty of food. The browns will clean up the carp fry, and with time we will eliminate the bigger carp.

A few more attempts...I'm really busy today
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    I see what you are getting at Chris, the problem is that the carp that get left and breed also get bigger. The bigger they get the more damage they do. Trout cant survive or feed in the muddy conditions that eventually occur. Shocking or stunning the carp only works in shallowish waters, hence my concern to the depth of this water.

We had to pump the dam nearly dry to eradicate the carp, leaving only a muddy sludge which was then also dredged for carp. If any carp or eggs survived, the trout now have a better small fry to eat. Luckily as well the rains came and when we stocked in July, the dam was clear and overflowing.

Dave
    I personally think the depth of the dam is not condusive to much shocking success, because I cant see big carp coming to the surface from 8 metres down, not in the space of time of a minute while they are in the shocked state.

If there is a gap in the weather, I hope to still give it a try, but my problem is that the fish are being stocked next Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. I dont want any more shocking to happen after they are in

Dude! Get some harcore pap gooiers in there to catch most of the big carp. That should sort out most of it. Hell I will even come in there with some pap if need be and get some carp out.
    That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn’t good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin and Hobbes)

http://pipersystem.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Dude! Get some harcore pap gooiers in there to catch most of the big carp. That should sort out most of it. Hell I will even come in there with some pap if need be and get some carp out.
    I'll join you
    Clive

"One final cast for luck, and the really last throw in honour of a fair lady ... If they don't rise to that, they are no gentlemen" - Anon

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast