View Poll Results: How long does it take?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 10 days

1 4.00%
  • Between 10 and 20 days

2 8.00%
  • More than 20 less than 30

2 8.00%
  • 30 days and more

20 80.00%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: How long does it take???

I am busy filling a saltwater box for a trip in october. So far its taken 26days, tying on average 8-10 flies a night. After the young noisemaker has settled.
    i figure i will need another 5days to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    Mario,

See other thread as well.

Me and u are very similar,I have my patterns already worked out,no need to create more unless like u say I have time.

I also follow the magic number ie 3

G
    is that not a bit low to have in your box?
    if you are on a roll with the fish, fishing the whole day. you could loose all 3 flies in the first hour? but then again maybe not and 1 lasts you the whole day.
    5 is my magic number. Also if you loose a couple and forget to tie before the next trip you should have some in the box.
    Tying 5 at a time also improves your speed and effecientcy.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    if you are on a roll with the fish, fishing the whole day. you could loose all 3 flies in the first hour? but then again maybe not and 1 lasts you the whole day.
    5 is my magic number. Also if you loose a couple and forget to tie before the next trip you should have some in the box.
    For me it's 3 per size, not only pattern. Usually then have about 9 of the same pattern, but size differs. 5 is better though, should make a habit out of it yes!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    For me it's 3 per size, not only pattern. Usually then have about 9 of the same pattern, but size differs. 5 is better though, should make a habit out of it yes!
    My next plan is to tie 10 off each.
    I will keep 5 in the box and 5 at home in the fly library/ stock room
    Then I can top up when I have lost some. So i will only tie to top up the stock room.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

i could'nt vote cause i never finish . my boxes are in a constant state of flux as there's 9 of them. 5 stillwater boxes , 2 vaal boxes , 1 small stream box - these are all c & f types and 1 BIG bass box . having kids turns you into a production tier otherwise you'll never get done because you don't often get time to tie. i have drawn up lists of patterns that's prioritized except if i lost a load of a certain pattern which needs immediate replacement .i tie in batches of a dosen or half dosen. i stick to only very productive patterns thats quick to tie - suggestive to impressionistic. oh -how i long for the days when i could tincker / linger at the vice.

Flybum, you're a man after my own heart!!! The little free time I have I quickly work out what I expect I'll need for the next trip in terms of hatches/venue and try and tie up a dozen or so of likely quick reliable impressionistic jobbies. These I don't even bother putting into my myriad flyboxes, just into my little clip-on box I wear round my neck for spontaneous trips
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

I have this problem in that I seem to be constantly thinking of better ways to tie particular patterns, or better materials or whatever. Inevitably that means removing all the previous versions in my boxes and tying up the new and "improved" versions.

I must have filled my boxes several times over, but instead I've got 7 partially filled boxes, and a huge bag of flies I don't want to use anymore because in my mind, I know I can now tie them better.

Hi Korrie,

Ye 3 seems to be doing fine for now.I know I'm playing Russion Roulette but once my tying sequence / schedule starts again at day 1 I fill them up to 6 per pattern,assuming I didn't loose any.

Bare in mind I fish maybe 6-7 hours at a time.Come next week I would've replaced any missing flies ontop of the flies I'm suppose to tie for that spesific day in MY 32 day program if u will.

Other factors like knots,structure also plays a part,I'm of the opinion that u shouldn't loose a fly as a result of human error for example a badly tied knot.

Luckily I'm not that french guy who carries 2000 flies per comp so for now 3 is is the new 6.

G

Ps.I tie for 2 so it becomes very hectic.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 28-08-08 at 03:52 PM.

5 is my magic number.
    I also tend to use 5 as my magic number when tying - besides the fact that you are unlikely to lose all 5 in a day you also don't end up with 1 lonely hook after tying 8 X 3 (usually 25 in a box). I have a couple of dries, nymphs and streamers that I always tie (not always the same way) and then experiment with new patterns. I would get bored stiff if I had to fish the same flies all the time - even if they were successful.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Gerrit,

Care to elaborate on the 32 day schedule? Sounds interesting!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast