Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Musk Rat ?????

Default Musk Rat ?????

Hello all,
    With the last freshwater flyswap I received some Muskrat fur. This stuff is increadibly soft and the colour change from root to tip is from grey to medium brown. The gaurd hairs are almost black.

My questions:

Is it water repellent, i.e. suitable for dries ?

Should I rather cut it up small for dubbing ?

Because it's so soft should I use the longer hairs in a soft hackle, instead of a soft hackle ?

C'mon Flyguide, Gerrit, Chris S. OMR and all you other out the box tiers, your input would be appreciated.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

I also got some of that Muskat a few months ago from Wiets. I have used the underfur on Adams dry flies for a while now. The colour ir great for it. Have also used the underfur together with the guard hairs for soft hackles spun in a dubbing loop and wound on as a color. Havnt used the flies yet but they look great. HAve used the guard hairs for tails on some flies as well.

Dont cut it up. Just pull the fur out like you would do with a hare's ear. Then pull out the underfur and use it for dubbing.
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

Quote Originally Posted by Morne View Post
    I also got some of that Muskat a few months ago from Wiets. I have used the underfur on Adams dry flies for a while now. The colour ir great for it. Have also used the underfur together with the guard hairs for soft hackles spun in a dubbing loop and wound on as a color. Havnt used the flies yet but they look great. HAve used the guard hairs for tails on some flies as well.

Dont cut it up. Just pull the fur out like you would do with a hare's ear. Then pull out the underfur and use it for dubbing.
    ditto.....some great soft hackles with the dubbing loop, really a lot of movement.
    cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

I'm glad you asked this Herman, I was also wondering how to use mine.
    They've got us surrounded - the poor bastards!

Default Muskrat fur

Have some as well. Great fur for taddy tying. Not water repellent. Can also be used as others have stated.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    ditto.....some great soft hackles with the dubbing loop, really a lot of movement.
    cheers
    Rols, do you split your thread or actually form a loop with the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    Have some as well. Great fur for taddy tying. Not water repellent. Can also be used as others have stated.

Dave
    Now here's a question. Would it work if cut into crosscut zonker strips ????

I split mine, but you can use either. Since i discovered the spilt thread tecnique I have never gone back to the loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Rols, do you split your thread or actually form a loop with the thread.
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Now here's a question. Would it work if cut into crosscut zonker strips ????
    Will work perfect for zonker strips. What a waste though, good fur which gives lots of pulsating movement, rather use atificial or synthetics for zonkers.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    Will work perfect for zonker strips. What a waste though, good fur which gives lots of pulsating movement, rather use atificial or synthetics for zonkers.

Dave
    Thans Dave,

Can you imagine the movement of a 1/4" wide crosscut,palmered in on a # 6 bugger with a straight cut tail for LM's.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast