Tail: Tan Marabou
    Flash 1: Rootbeer Krystal Flash
    Flash 2: Mini Pearl Flashabou
    Body: Gold Sparkle Thread by Madeira
    Collar 1: 1 x Mallard Flank Natural
    Collar 2: 2 x Mallard Flank Wood Duck Gold
    Head: Epoxy
    Eyes: 6mm Sequence Gold / Gold stick on's

One of my own creations.I wanted a flashy suggestive looking fly and now have one.Feel free to tie it in different colours.I only tie it this way.

Step1
    Add thread and tie in your mono guard.

Step 2
    Tie in a fat/thick Marabou tail as long as the hook.Tie down the Marabou about 3/4 of the shank.Tie down point slightly further back than the hook point.

Step 3
    Tie in 2 stands of Krystal flash on either side of the body.Once done,tie in 2 more strands of mini pearl flashabou on either side.Both should not exceed the tail length.Work your thread over these materials and built a taper from think to thin going foward.Whip finish and tie off your tying thread.

Step 4
    Add your gold thread like u did with ur tying thread.U will now built your body.Whip her and tie off.

Note:If u choose to use the same thread remember that this stuff spins like hell.The shiny / sparkle side should show ontop so u'll have to unspin the thread every so often,remember that!!!!

Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 31-08-08 at 07:17 PM.

Step 5
    Add ur tying thread again.

Tie in your natural Mallard by it's tips and move thread to the eye.(They way I measure the size is to hold the stem with the barbs intact right over the tie in point.The barbs on the left of the stem with dull side facing the shank should extent to about 2cm past the base of the marabou tail.In the end u'll see that these feathers needs to blend in with the tail once wet.)

Wrap it forward to the eye of the hook.Secure and clip stem short.Do some wraps of thread over it and move ur thread back a few turns.Don't worry,it will look very messy but we'll sort it out in a jiff.

Note: After every quarter of a wrap,stroke the barbs of the feather backwards,don't trap it with thread.Remember this,very important.

Take a flattie,clamp the eye and measure the width of the eye so that u know where to finish off with the wraps of thread.

Step 6
    Tie in a shorter Gold Mallard feather by it's tip,dull side facing left and move thread to the eye.Wrap forward,secure and clip stem off.Go back over it again untill u reach the point where u ended off with the natural.

Tie in your second Gold feather with dull side facing left and do the same ie go forward to the eye of the hook.Secure and clip stem off.Now,go backwards again to where u ended off with both the natual mallard and the 1st of the two gold feathers.

Form a head doing quite a few wraps of thread.Trim all the excess barbs,stems,etc that u might've left out before.Add some head cement and let dry.

Step 7
    Add a very small drop of epoxy to either side of the head and place your sequence eye against it.Wait till dry before finishing the head.

Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 31-08-08 at 01:08 PM.

Step 8
    Trust me,do this wrong and ur fly is stuffed.

Less is more

Using a toothpick or even a pin / needle,drop or rather apply a very small amount of epoxy at a time and fill the gap on the top and at the bottom of the eyes.Let it flow slightly into the feathers on the top side and on the bottom.Little by little.Filling the gaps to about equal or slightly past the borders of the round eye.Don't mind the excess sticking out,this will show clear and won't be visable in the water.The big,gold,shiny eye is too much of a trigger for the excess epoxy to put the fish off.

Top of head

Bottom side

Step 9
    Heat a needle or a pin and slide it throught the eye of the hook.Sometimes I get it just right and other times not.Here I covered the eye of the hook with epoxy.The pin opens it up quite nicely.

Finished Fly

Wet

I had some stick one eyes lying around.I just epoxied it onto the sequence.Or u can colour in a pupil onto the sequence using a black marker then cover with UV knot.

Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 31-08-08 at 07:15 PM.

Lovely fly.
    Should have a bit more of the hook eye exsposed.
    Then I would have no complaints.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Lovely fly.
    Should have a bit more of the hook eye exsposed.
    Then I would have no complaints.
    Hi Korrie hoe lyk dit?

Why? Is there any particular reason?I'm curios cause maybe I can improve the look ie where u attach the tippet.

G

Very fish catchable looking fly there. Baie mooi en dankie
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Gerrit, my initial thought was the same as Korrie's. My concern is that the epoxy might have/develop edges/non-smooth bits which could fray and weaken the tippet. My thoughts anyway.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    Very fish catchable looking fly there. Baie mooi en dankie
    Thanks Rols,

And for the Baboer murderer,forgot to say earlier.

G
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 01-09-08 at 01:23 PM.

Dalk net tradsioneel, wil jy die hoek oog sien.
    Dit lyk of jy uit spasie geloop het met die hele konstruksie van die vlieg.

'n goeie stukkie advies is om die garing te begin waar jou laaste afbind van die "whipfinish" moet wees.
    So jy begin die garing so ,5mm vanaf die hoek ogie.
    Bind terug tot by die buig van die hoek.
    Begin te bind en eindig op by die eerste draai van die garing.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast