Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fly fishing for carp.

Default Fly fishing for carp.

Found these articles very good read,love the way his enthusiasm for what he does comes through.

http://www.flyfishersrepublic.com/ta...rp-on-the-fly/

http://www.flyfishersrepublic.com/ta...the-fly/part2/
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Love these articles......I am very intrested to find out what Sean Mills' (sp?) opinnion is regarding the tacticts, fly's and circumstances vis-a-vis the Western Cape?
    Cheers,
    KarelM
    PS: ja ek weet ek het die franse gedeelte verkeerd gespel...maar dit se vis-teen-vis...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Found these articles very good read,love the way his enthusiasm for what he does comes through.

Really good stuff Nick. I have mentioned to Sean Mills that those carp at Sonstraal will start recognising his car. Check this quote below from part 2 of these articles (and I was only joking):

"How spooky are they? Well, by picking up the vibrations from the engine of the brand new car you have just parked on the road above the riverbank, most carp can figure out what vehicle brand you are driving. It would be foolish to suggest for a moment that they know what colour of car you are driving, but according to some research from the USA, the common carp, with an IQ of 6, is twice as smart as a trout".
    Clive

"One final cast for luck, and the really last throw in honour of a fair lady ... If they don't rise to that, they are no gentlemen" - Anon

Quote Originally Posted by turando101 View Post
    Love these articles......I am very intrested to find out what Sean Mills' (sp?) opinnion is regarding the tacticts, fly's and circumstances vis-a-vis the Western Cape?
    Cheers,
    KarelM
    PS: ja ek weet ek het die franse gedeelte verkeerd gespel...maar dit se vis-teen-vis...LOL
    Spoke to sean last week,he has been CZN recently for carp,got one of 20lbs recently..........he also tied me some maoggot flies and blood worms he said he has had a lot of succsess with these.Excuse my ingnorance i am a pomm living in SA,my wife is not hear to translate at the moment. I am sure its funny
    Last edited by nicholas; 31-08-08 at 05:37 PM.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Spoke to sean last week,he has been CZN recently for carp,got one of 20lbs recently..........he also tied me some maoogot flies and blood worms he said he has had a lot of succsess with these.Excuse my ingnorance i am a pomm living in SA,my wife is not hear to translate at the moment. I am sure its funny
    I also had some good fortune at coastal waters with Czech Nymphs. Got a carp of 10 kg's a few weeks ago. Nice thing was it was a pattern I tied myself. Very satisfying!
    Clive

"One final cast for luck, and the really last throw in honour of a fair lady ... If they don't rise to that, they are no gentlemen" - Anon

Some excellent reading... This guy knows how tho keep the reader's attention with some puns and the method seems very similar to the ones we use locally. After all - carp is carp!
    A fight-and-a-half when hooked in a shallow rapid!
    Save our Yellows!

Excuse my ingnorance i am a pomm living in SA,my wife is not hear to translate at the moment. I am sure its funny
    nothing funny....just a play on words meaning "fish-on-fish" aaaaah stuff that...u had to be there

Default Carp is king

You want challenging fishing yes?
    You want your rod to bend yes?
    You want to see your backing yes?

Carp is king
    "I believe in a long prolonged arrangement of the senses to attain the unknown" (Jim Morrison)

a great article Nick!! ... one thing that struck me was the relative efficiency of catching Carp on fly vs bait .... 4 on fly with LOTS of rods ... over 20 on bait the next week .... makes one think!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Hi guys,

I'm a total noob when it comes to FF, but I want to give this carp on fly a go as I live 'n minute away from Sonstraal dam (PB is 12kg from this dam used mielies as bait). At the moment I'm using my Stealth 8/9wt with a small coffee grinder (sacriledge I know ) to catch these coppery buggers, but now I want to tackle them the proper way.

What flies are the best to use and where can I get them from. I went to Somerset Sport in Cape Gate, but it's no use if I don't know what to look out for.

Thanks
    André

Fly fishing noob

It is curious - curious that physical courage should be so common in the world, and moral courage so rare ~ Mark Twain

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast