Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Relaunch of Western Cape YWG

Default Cape YWG research interest

Hi guys - Good on you for starting this up again. I see you list research as an aspect that will be part of the Cape YWG discussions. I work for SAIAB and have been working on Cape fishes since 1997, doing my MSc and PhD on these ancient fish and contributing to several YWG meetings. I am currently doing research on the Cape Galaxias (discovering several new species) and continuing work on Sandelia and Pseudobarbus. I also have a PhD student starting work on the Breede River system - we will link with the "Wine and Biodiversity" initiative - I promise its not an excuse!

We will be looking at the conservation of Witvis in some way or another - even if its just trying to map their distribution. I also did the IUCN evaluation of the conservation status of the Cape fishes with Dean Impson - so if you don't agree with it lets talk. I did do work on Barbus serra and Labeobarbus capensis in the past and I know the Cederberg quite well.

I hope I can add value to your discussions especially in terms the latest research developments. I am particularly interested in distribution records - so if you find something interesting let me know. If we can, we would love to follow these up, especially for now, the Breede system.

Living in Grahamstown, it will of course be difficult to join you for meetings, but I would love to follow fishy developments in the Cape where I do most of my research.

Kind regards
    Ernst

Chris - being from Grahamstown I could of course not attend the meeting and I don't know what was discussed. I do, however, have some answers for you. There are no situations in the Western Cape like the ones you describe. There are genetic differences (unique lineages/subspecies) within many of the Cape species, but there are absolutely no reasons to translocate fishes between any of them to "safe the species". Populations are in general large enough and should be protected as such. The only exception to this rule at this stage is the Witvis where CapeNature has decided to stock fish from the Breede into the Berg because the latter has gone extinct. I dont agree with them stocking the Eerste River though, because this is outside their natural range.

Hi Ernst,

Welcome to the forum, nice to have someone with your background adding to the debate.

Eben
    Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery element are made for wise men to contemplate, and for fools to pass by without consideration - Izaak Walton

Hi Ernst,

Welcome to the forum, its great to have you on here!

I look forward to hearing your views on issues that may arise!

Cheers,
    Matt
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Good day,

If any of you are interested in getting involved with the Western Cape Yellowfish Working Group (WCYWG), please send your details to mail@wcywg.co.za and I will send you further information.

We are working on getting this work group going and working on the concervation of Western Cape Yellows (Clanwilliams, Sawfin & Witvis).

Regards
    John

John

Have you got apathy problems with the WCYFWG? Sad if it is so

Guys I have just recieved an e-mail from John Brink, there is a WCYFWG meeting at Jonkershoek next week Tuesday. At 7pm, thats the 30th of June, for those that would like to know the date.

We need to get guys involved in this and I am planing on getting involved myself. Now the only way this will be a sucses is if we rock up there in one big group. Yes I know its after hours on a cold winter eavening and the fireplace and your wives or girlfriends cooking will be better but lets all go and join this worthy cause.

For those who want to go, please add your name to the list. Just copy and past it in your post.

Dewald Kirsten
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Hi Darryl,
    I missed your last meeting please let me know when the next one will be and where,

Thanks.
    RICHARD W.

keen on getting futher information but my mail to the adress below bounced. any other contact details available?

Quote Originally Posted by J Brink View Post
    Good day,

If any of you are interested in getting involved with the Western Cape Yellowfish Working Group (WCYWG), please send your details to mail@wcywg.co.za and I will send you further information.

We are working on getting this work group going and working on the concervation of Western Cape Yellows (Clanwilliams, Sawfin & Witvis).

Regards
    John

Hi Guys

Can you tell us what is happening up at Beaverlack since our last trip there ?

Cheers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast