Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Relaunch of Western Cape YWG

Default Relaunch of Western Cape YWG

Apologies for the late notice. Tomorrow night (Tue Sep 2nd) is the relaunch of the Western Cape Yellowfish Working Group. The meeting is taking place at 18H30 at the CPS club room (4th Floor, The Mercantile Building, 63 Hout Street). Anyone can attend/join, you do not need to be a CPS member.

We have approached Prof Jan Roussouw and asked him to head up the Western Cape YWG. Jan has agreed in principle subject to the group voting etc. In the meantime Jan has drafted a plan for the group - see below. The plan is to run the group in a professional way along the lines of the other YWG's around the country.

If anyone is interested in attending or wants more information please PM me. Looking forward to seeing many of you tomorrow night!

Thanks,
    Darryl

WCYFG – The way forward
    1. Plan:
    a. Define the goals of the group
    b. Identify steps in obtaining the goals
    c. Obtain approval and support for plan from relevant organisations such as Cape Nature, DWAF, CPS, Art lure clubs, Land owners, etc.
    d. Determine priorities and time schedule of activities
    e. Assign tasks to implement plan

2. Goals:
    a. Protect present healthy populations of Cape yellowfish
    b. Restore fish populations in Doring, Olifants and Breede systems
    c. Stimulate research and create awareness

3. Protect present populations
    a. Summarise existing situation and knowledge
    b. Monitor to prevent degradation. Involve:
    (i) Land owners
    (ii) Schools - monitor
    (iii) Universities - research
    (iv) Fishing clubs
    c. Report threats to relevant authorities

4. Restore populations
    a. Breeding:
    (i) Hatcheries
    (ii) Dams
    (iii) Healthy river systems
    b. Growing to bass-proof size:
    (i) Growth rate
    (ii) Size to be restocked
    c. Restocking
    (i) Where
    (ii) In what numbers
    d. Improving habitat
    (i) Minimum flow requirements
    (ii) Effective use of water
    (iii) Bank and bed restoration
    (iv) Opening migration routes

5. Research:
    a. Breeding requirements
    (i) Hatcheries
    (ii) Dams
    (iii) Rivers
    b. Migration patterns
    c. Growth rates and lifespan
    d. Influence of alien species

J. Rossouw

27 August 2008
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Excellent, thanks Darryl. I'll be there
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

anybody from the durbanville area going to go through? 1 car scenario at the moment for me and it's already booked..
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Oom Roland can drive with me
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

You can drive with me Rols
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

will the bar be open, sorry...i've been told about this caps thing....i am trying, really i am. WILL THE BAR BE OPEN!!!
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Thanks guys looking forward to seeing you there tonight. Roland I will bring your seal skin along.

Rgds,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Just saw your notice on the meeting, good luck guys and well done, hope the evening is a success...

I look forward with interest your general views on stocking or restocking yellow pecies in their natural areas where they've been wiped out. IE if there's already a local 'sub-species' in a sparse population likely to go extinct, do we bolster it with the same species but not exactly the same strain?
    I don't know the answer, but as long as 'Johnny Cleggs' go round the place in red baggy pants fishing out our waters we may end up having to do second best to at least ensure some local yellows survive?

Also was the famous indigenous v exotic issue raised? Again, I don't have a definitive answer but it would be great to hear what you guys discussed?
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Just saw your notice on the meeting, good luck guys and well done, hope the evening is a success...

I look forward with interest your general views on stocking or restocking yellow pecies in their natural areas where they've been wiped out. IE if there's already a local 'sub-species' in a sparse population likely to go extinct, do we bolster it with the same species but not exactly the same strain?
    I don't know the answer, but as long as 'Johnny Cleggs' go round the place in red baggy pants fishing out our waters we may end up having to do second best to at least ensure some local yellows survive?

Also was the famous indigenous v exotic issue raised? Again, I don't have a definitive answer but it would be great to hear what you guys discussed?
    Hi Chris,

Sorry for the late reply. We had a very good meeting where Jan was elected chairman. Jan has drafted a document essentially fleshing out what was mentioned above - this however still needs to be checked with CN before we can publish. Will be able to answer your questions once this has happened. Happy to chat offlist if you want to give me a call.

Regards,
    Darryl

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Thanks for the reply Darryl, no, that's great, will wait for the official stuff! I'm glad the real stuff was discussed and obviously in objective fashion

Cheers, Chris
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast