Thread: 14/0 White
    Underbody: 2mm fly foam white
    Overbody: Natural Hare’s Ear dubbing + Mallard Flank fluff
    Beak: Synthetic nails tan
    Marker: Goldenrod (Type of orange)
    Head: Natural Hare’s Ear + Mallard Flank fluff
    Eyes: UV knot

Step 1
    Cut out 2 foam underbodies using the bird cutter.

Step 2
    Add thread and work it back to the bend of the hook.U’ll have to measure this according to ur hook of choice.The foam underbody is 2.5cm in length excluding those strips.

Step 3
    Tie in the 1st foam underbody on the far side.Then the 2nd one on the near side.Move ur thread to the eye of the hook,whip finish and tie off.

Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 04-09-08 at 07:21 AM.

Step 4
    Add glue to the gaps on the top and the underside.If u want a heavier bird,now was the time to add lead strips or whatever.Wait till dry. Don’t leave any gaps,press it tight as shown.

Step 5
    Add ur thread again by the back area and create a dubbing loop.Move ur tying thread a few mm’s forward.Do not wrap it tight,just let it hang there.

Step 6
    Insert some dubbing followed by the fluff u pulled from the Mallard flank and start spinning.I used about 4 loops.Continue with sequence until u reach the neck area.U will see in the end why this colour combo of HE and fluff work so beautifully.

Step 8
    Move ur thread towards the eye of the hook going over the head.Whip finish and tie off.

Step 9
    Cut the front strip flush, the back strip is to be cut as well but as u can see I created a little pooper by leaving a small piece. Colour this in using some kind of orange marker.

Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 03-09-08 at 11:07 PM.

Step 10
    For the beak I used artificial nails.They come in a nice tanny colour perfect for the beak. It takes a bit of time getting that perfect shape but luckily u can use a nail foul + clippers to get it right.Do the underside of the beak followed by the top side. I used epoxy to glue it on.

Step 11
    Take ur UV tube and apply some lube on either side of the head.U are now creating ur eyes..Once the UV has set, use a black marker and colour them in.Take ur finger and stroke / smear over the black eye.This will give it that dull look.

Add some glue to any exposed areas on the head and between the 2 nails (beak) Make ur dubbing fine by separating the fibres,add some fluff to the mix and place it on the glue.U can even cover a bit of the eyes.This will finish off your fly.

Remember to built up the head as well,the head is slightly small looking at the bare foam.

Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 03-09-08 at 10:46 PM.

Some wet snaps.

Note: U can even create legs and or under developed wings using mono if u want. For those interested in how it looks, I’ll post a pic.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 03-09-08 at 10:46 PM.

Interesting
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Gerrit, you're a genius! I think that is absolutely brilliant!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

The only improvement I would suggest is the inclusion of the yellow "lips" that are a common in baby birds
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Gerrit, you're a genius! I think that is absolutely brilliant!
    Thanks Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    The only improvement I would suggest is the inclusion of the yellow "lips" that are a common in baby birds
    Sorry I don't follow,lips as in poenanie or a different beak?Please advise.

G

With such a big bag of artificial nails, I now start to wonder about what you do apart from fly tying in your spare time. We have a spot in the Cape, On Broadway, You could come and headline there with one of the other local, artist.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast