Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: FishDuc Foam or AirFloor

Quote Originally Posted by lookout View Post
    I am looking at getting a 5hp. Is this adequate for if motoring around 2 up ?
    5hp should be fine. Get a 8hp s/s if you want to get on a plane with two big guys.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Has anyone made any useful adaptations to the FishDuc like rod holders ect..

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    inflatable floor and once pumped up hard is rigid enough to stand and fish as long as you can keep your balance.
    I too have stood up in a fishduc with inflatable floor. Problem is every time I do this Darryl screams like a girl and then starts hitting me with the 000...

Seriously though, you should easily be able to stand up, taller guys may have some issues i.t.o balance, but the boat is perfectly stable to cast from standing up (assuming calm water)... Also look at getting the slightly wider model, should help a lot with stability.
    Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery element are made for wise men to contemplate, and for fools to pass by without consideration - Izaak Walton

i would rather go for a 8hp, i fish with a couple of guys on their ducs and the 5 does everything you want it to. but, like dlampert said with 2 guys and a 8hp you get onto the plane (spelling?) very quickly. we were once caught in a storm on a estuary 3 guys on a croc with a 5hp and we made it back to the slipway 2km away with a 5hp it just took very long and we were drenched. i was totally amazed after that and very respectfull of the fishduck design. the 5hp worked hard that day but did the job. Hope this helps in any way

I use a Yamaha 5hp, and it's perfect, any more is an overkill. What you need to remember , is that a more powerfull motor is only going to push more forward wake, and not neccessarily make you go faster, as the underside is flat, and not actually designed for planing, but for 2 adults, a 5 is perfect.

Will the transom and construction on a fishduc handle the "power" of the 8hp in the long run? 2 big guys with a 8hp pushing you forward, there is a lot of stress involved. In the long run maybe not such a good idea. Check with the manufacturer if 8 hp is recommended.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Will the transom and construction on a fishduc handle the "power" of the 8hp in the long run? 2 big guys with a 8hp pushing you forward, there is a lot of stress involved. In the long run maybe not such a good idea. Check with the manufacturer if 8 hp is recommended.
    Manufacturer recommends a 2hp - 10hp http://www.ark.co.za/html/crocoduc.html I spoke to Billy and Steven several times before buying mine. They said for 2 large adults the best motor is a 8hp short shaft - will get you up on a plane as already mentioned.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Manufacturer recommends a 2hp - 10hp http://www.ark.co.za/html/crocoduc.html I spoke to Billy and Steven several times before buying mine. They said for 2 large adults the best motor is a 8hp short shaft - will get you up on a plane as already mentioned.
    Yup, the promo blurb says up to 8HP. I don't think that the transom will experience any problems. These little boats are tough, and the transom to pontoon joins are reinforced. If after 10 years or so, the transom does show some signs of wear, simply get it replaced...big deal. i would still rather have an ARK than any other small inflatable.

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Thanks Darryl.

I have one of the early models, where they still recommended 2 to 5hp.
    The newer ones are very NICE.
    I spent a day on Andre's one with the foam floor.
    Provided a firm underfoot, compared to the first models.
    But as they say. The car have replaced the horse.
    The row locks are a huge improvement.
    I am waiting now for the Ark with a removable semi rigid hull.
    That would be lovely.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Do it Vaal style ... Stand with both feet on the pontoons, at +8' above the water in my case it's great and the guys I fish wiith wouldn't dare be seen with a 000

I don't know what the point is of such a big motor for stillwater/estuary. We fished with a either a 4HP or a 6HP two weekends ago on a 12km dam with a howling wind and +50cm swell. The motor handled more than adequately, at one stretch we did about 4kms of purring straight into the teeth of the gale and directly facing the waves on a boat much wider and heavier than the Fishduc and it took us no more than say 15 - 20 minutes without maxxing out the the 4HP in any way.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast