Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: piet fischer farm

Yes it's a nice dam. It will be great to go there again if the security issues are sorted out. This dam was always a good dam for fishing buzzers.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Now how the hell did the carp get in there is a damn good question. This is the problem with people who don't understand how different fish species live or how one can be a disadvantage to the other. I fished the dam quite a bit when he first started and he was adamant that no carp would be put in there, but it's joe soap who catches fish at Sonstraal for instance and knows of a body of water as he's connections have fished there and he now wants to do the good thing, by putting some more fish in so they can have fun. I went there with a friend of mine about a month ago and there were some d!ckheads in the Lappa (sp) with kerkorrel franswa belting out at volume 400. There was a bloke there with 2 labradores and his son was throwing sticks in the water and the dogs were diving in to go fetch. I must say though, when the money collector guy came around he did ask them to stop. At these kind of venues you need a guy there all the time and some "Jannie", as the guys laugh at them..
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

I use to go their a lot but it went to the way side, check the fish a mate of mine caught their. I dont think Piet really knows what he can achieve with that dam.

Quote Originally Posted by J Brink View Post
    I use to go their a lot but it went to the way side, check the fish a mate of mine caught their. I dont think Piet really knows what he can achieve with that dam.
    you are so right but it has to be policed big time. There was a guy who bragged that he had 17 trout in his deep freeze, taken from Piet's dam. The big thing also is the large amount of workers on the farm and they walk past that dam every single day. You think the're going to walk to town for some chicken when they see what's coming out there? Sad but a reality
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Yes it's a nice dam. It will be great to go there again if the security issues are sorted out. This dam was always a good dam for fishing buzzers.
    I had the same experience on buzzers only there ! Till I had my window smashed and never went back. Am hoping he can turn it around , I understand the need to make money off such a venture but some "control" is also required.

When he started about 6-7 years back and I stayed in Durbanville I usede to vissit once every 2 weeks. Just big enought to do the tube-thing. The last time I visisted it was 3 years ago. I had my wedding there and did not even fished it.

Default How did you get the carp out?

Maybe I missed it - but how on earth did you get the that many carp out without hurting/killing the trout as well?
    Never mistake knowledge for wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by honda2 View Post
    Maybe I missed it - but how on earth did you get the that many carp out without hurting/killing the trout as well?
    I did ask,but i think he was elctro-shocking,which does not harm the fish it stuns them for 30 seconds or so.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Morning guys

All the carp was removed by means of electro shocking which does not harm any fish or water birds. It is actually very effective to survey a dam to check what species are in it as well to eradicate/remove unwanted species such as carp and barbell. It is a very effective tool to manage a fishery far better than netting which causes harm to fish while dragging and pulling the netts.

while doing this we smapled a couple of nice Bass to 2.8kg and some nice trout over the 1 kg mark, all returned safely to fight another day. We also found lots of small Blue Gill and some small Bass, so the fishery is doing well. With the removing of the Carp the water qaulity will improve shortly, the few Carp left over will provide good fodder fish for the other species, Bass & Trout.

some pics of the fish we sampled in the dam.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2