Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 500 starving brown trout

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Gerhard from Rivendell also told me that Troot consume double the amount of oxygen when digesting food than they normally do aside from the other excretants that go with those biological processes.

What size will the Troot be Herr Shelton ?
    About average stream size 200 grams each, or 22-25cm if you prefer
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Cool, what is the aquatic life like in the dam ... just wondering how quickly they will put on condition bearing in mind how slowly browns grow in hatchery circumstances.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Cool, what is the aquatic life like in the dam ... just wondering how quickly they will put on condition bearing in mind how slowly browns grow in hatchery circumstances.
    Excellent! Lots of established weed growth deep down which harbours tons of snails (the mother of invention of my SNOG) and plenty other aquatic beetles and whatnot, and plenty of fodder fish with the carp that are starting to spawn now. It also has Tilapia, another excellent fodder fish!

Incidentally, the dam has the highest conductivity recorded by the electro-shocking guys to date, in fact double their next highest reading so far, which means that it is extremely rich in nutrients and minerals. To give you an idea of the growth rate, rainbows from our first stocking 15 years ago reached 2kg's plus in the space of one year from stocking. That was from 40 gram fingerlings!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Incidentally, the dam has the highest conductivity recorded by the electro-shocking guys to date, in fact double their next highest reading so far, which means that it is extremely rich in nutrients and minerals.
    This sounds like a bi-product from all the carp activity. Would be interesting to watch the weed growth as the dam clears up given the increased sunlight penetration...
    Got a feeling there a going to be some absolute monsters coming out in the not too distant future.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    To give you an idea of the growth rate, rainbows from our first stocking 15 years ago reached 2kg's plus in the space of one year from stocking. That was from 40 gram fingerlings!
    Geez, thats unreal!!!! Would love to see that happen.... I'd say a kg per year of growth is prob more realistic? Only time will tell....
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Quote Originally Posted by nkula_nkula View Post
    Geez, thats unreal!!!! Would love to see that happen.... I'd say a kg per year of growth is prob more realistic? Only time will tell....
    2kg's in the first year is certainly not unrealistic, provided the food is there. The browns that I am getting have basically put on 100grams in weight in the last two months, and are currently on track to put on at least 100grams a month. bear in mind, browns are slower growers than rainbows.

The secret is to hit the right stocking balances. There is always a temptation to overstock, but something has to give as a result. If double figure fish are desired, then they need to put on at least 2kg's a year in their 4-5 yr allocated lifespan. That's a lot of food they need to chow!

Homer

Are you going to have fishing rules in this dam of yours? Or is it going to be a free for all for all the syndicate members. Stripping WB's, Fritzes, Zonkers and the like. Would be a shame imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Fario View Post
    Homer

Are you going to have fishing rules in this dam of yours? Or is it going to be a free for all for all the syndicate members. Stripping WB's, Fritzes, Zonkers and the like. Would be a shame imo.
    Yes of course! Dry fly to sighted fish only!

In your Savile Row Harris Tweed knickerbocker suits and Hardy split-cane tackle only?
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by Fario View Post
    Homer

CANT YOU READ, Chris has posted the rules clearly plenty already. Now thats a shame.

POOPERNEL
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123