Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Flavoured flies & Select Techniques

Quote Originally Posted by nkula_nkula View Post
    Is it true????? Some of the WC rivers have eels. Seen one hooked on a woolly bugger, the thing went awol and stuffed my fishing buddy up solid. They powerful fish!
    Hey Dude... ALL of the rivers flowing east have eels. 4 seperate species;
    Anguilla bicolor bicolor. (shortfin eel), A. bengalensis labiata. (mottled eel), A. mossambica (longfin eel), A marmota. (madagascar mottled eel).,
    Of the 4, labiata and marmota grow the biggest... up to about 1.8m long and up to about 30kg!!!!! I once had a 150mm pipe in the hatchery block... corked by an eel. They are as elastic as slime and it takes a seriously fat eel to blok a 6" pipe.

Is what true?

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Remind me never to come round to your house for a braai - not that I'd crack an invite!
    hey Chris, come for a braai... but you gonna have to bring your own roadkill

Will bring some of Herman's Marmite/garlic/condensed milk BBQ sauce!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by Surly Ghillie View Post
    Hey Dude... ALL of the rivers flowing east have eels. 4 seperate species;
    Anguilla bicolor bicolor. (shortfin eel), A. bengalensis labiata. (mottled eel), A. mossambica (longfin eel), A marmota. (madagascar mottled eel).,
    Of the 4, labiata and marmota grow the biggest... up to about 1.8m long and up to about 30kg!!!!! I once had a 150mm pipe in the hatchery block... corked by an eel. They are as elastic as slime and it takes a seriously fat eel to blok a 6" pipe.

Is what true?
    Thanks for the info, do you know what species is most common & likely in the breede? This is the only pic I have (crap quality I know)

Have you caught an eel on freshly harvested "roadkill" zonker? You seem to be tactfully avoiding the question....
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

As a matter of interest do we get eels in the OV system? From Wolf says it may not be the case. I certainly have never seen any in the Gauteng area

Quote Originally Posted by nkula_nkula View Post
    Thanks for the info, do you know what species is most common & likely in the breede? This is the only pic I have (crap quality I know)

)
    OK. the pic is a very pretty textural something or other. Could as easily be a pristine stretch of catchment as an aeration run on a mine slimes dam. hard to tell .

beyond that hard to see any of the kind of detail that would allow even an ichtyologist to identify an eel; i.e, number and pattern of vomerine teeth, shape, size and proportions of fins, lips, nostrils, sensory pores, etc.
    As to most common, probably mossambica, which grows to about 5kg. However the Breede is well within the home range of marmorata... and he gets seriously big!

As a matter of interest do we get eels in the OV system? From Wolf says it may not be the case. I certainly have never seen any in the Gauteng area
    I would be amazed if you didn't get them because of the way they inhabit the environmental niche.

I just don't know for sure beyond that I have never seen one. That's not too amzing as my experience of the OV system is mostly restricted to some barbel, black bass, moggel and carp-klapping between the dam and the barrage, and a teeny bit of LMY hunting around Parys, lindequesdrif and the stretch just downstream of Vaal dam. Oh yes and some SMY fishing... but nothing for eel and before answering any more questions here I think I should crawl back in my cave lest I be dumped on for hijacking someone else's scintilating thread.

Yes, too easily done when you're having fun!

Think I'll tie some Red-Boilie-Eyed Damsels this afternoon..

Will bring some of Herman's Marmite/garlic/condensed milk BBQ sauce!
    Yoo wil haff to
    assskkkss me nicerly.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2