Thread: Custom vice base

Default Custom vice base

I intend building a custom base for my vice, along the lines of the J-Vice base or the Danvice base sold by Cabelas. Being a lefty obviously the left edge would then sit on the right, so that the fly faces the left...

Any suggestions for the attachment point of the vice main "downtube" to the base ?

I would also like to do a waste basket. Any suggestions on a decent attachment for the basket to the "downtube". See the J-Vice pic, he has a screw-clamp type arrangement that slides up and down the main vice.
    Last edited by ebf; 10-01-07 at 10:57 AM.

Just some additional info, the down tube diameter depends on where the vice is made, its either an empirical or metric diameter, they differ slightly.

Most of the stuff that comes out of India is made to empirical for the US market, but vices like the Danvise are metric.

So, you may find that a basket designed for the one size and your vice is another, so check first.
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Little different but still very nice, would like to make myself somthing like this

Plus both lefties and righties can use it.
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Yeah I like the idea of a place where you can attach a c-clamp - then you don't really need to worry about diameters when you change vices.

You can find some good ideas at Oasis Tying Benches

Also check this article on making your own tying bench. The guy has links to construction drawings and gives a few good ideas to add to the tying bench. This should get you going.

Default granite for base

has anyone tried using granite or ceasar stone for a vise base?
    Im planning to build one for my danvise. The up side is you can personalise it by engraving it with your name or a flypattern or whatever. And it wil last a lifetime.
    Any ideas?

Firstly, granite is okay if you not moving it around as it is extremely heavy! As for attachments, Jay has also made a desk clamp which you can view on his website. Secondly, he also has an attachment which uses the actual base itself, with a cam which locks in the vice.. I'll try post some pics of my vice on Monday..
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531