Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Trek and gill nets being used at Zandvlei

I have been fishing Sandvlei for about 12 years on an irregular basis and the leeries smashing baitfish along the banks has not been a consistent event. My success rate has been poor but that is more to do with the lack of consistent effort. WHat I have noticed is that at times the general fish population in a specific area can fluctuate wildly even with similar weather and water conditions. I suspect that since the regular closure of the mouth fish have been developing a different migration patterns within the system and that the real challenge is to decypher that code. For instance I have caught carp while fishing for leeries at the footbridge in almost completely sea water and I have witnessed leeries swimming 500 or more metres up the concrete canal. Eight years ago one could see schools of adult mullet of 30 to 40 cm congregate in the thousands, now I see mostly juveniles and fingerlings. I am of the opinion that pollution has had a major impact, and poaching and bad fishing practices have added to the blow but we should promote it as a fishery to build a critical mass as stakeholders ( I hate the word). Laws only protect those who use them and are prepared to fight for them so getting more people involved whatever the departure point is, will get people talking in a consructive way. Sandvlei is an eco system that is salvageable even though it is in a rapidly growing urban area and even though it has been 4 years since I caught a leerie there, I look forward to the new season. Btw was there on saturday, saw some activity but the inflow looked like coca cola.

Thanks for that mate, I couldn't agree more!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

we where ask to do a servey with nature conservation to see if we could come up with more fish spesies for them.this is what we got for them.been very exciting.

list:leervis,mullet x2,carp,barbel,bass,tilapia,moonies

How did you conduct the survey and in what area because there where some juvenile elf coming out a few weeks ago (hearsay though). Where you netting ?
    wat weet 'n mol van kaas

There we where, 10 against a thousand and boy did we get F@ked up, all 1000 of us

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person

Isnt it ironic, we want to save the planet, should we not be saving ourselves. Btw did someone tell you your fuze is lit.

Zandvlei is gonna look like a bamboo forest this weekend with all the fly rods waving around after these pics. And I will be one of them lol... BRING ON THE RADIOACTIVE MULLET BAAAABBBBBEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!
    That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn’t good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin and Hobbes)

http://pipersystem.com

we dont use nets.we do electro fishing.doesnt harm any fish.was just to see if we can find more species in zandvlei.

they opened the mouth so fishing should be good for leeries.some one told us that some caught a 500mm leerie.very good news to see juv in the lagoon

here is a teaser for guys looking for nice mullet

These boys are damn hard to tempt. They are always leapig out of the water giving everyone the finger. We there many of these baby;s when you guys shocked?
    That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn’t good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin and Hobbes)

http://pipersystem.com

yip.they got a good population.just depends where you looking for

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5