Thread: Dirty Surf Fishing

Default Dirty Surf Fishing

Hi Guys

Just looking for some advice . If the surf is dirty and foamy from lagoons that have opened up due to rain , is it worth fishing these conditions . I see there is a low tide tomorrow at 5:45 am and was wanting to wet my line . Am i wasting my time ? I have never fished dirty water before and wonder if shad will be croozing ? I will hopefully be fishing around the rocks and gulleys . Any advise is greatly appreciated
    Last edited by Adrian; 23-09-08 at 05:42 PM.
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

I am far from any expert on salt water, but isn't this the water sharks prefer to feed in?

If they feed in it, then there must be some fish hiding there?

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Hi Guys

Just looking for some advice . If the surf is dirty and foamy from lagoons that have opened up due to rain , is it worth fishing these conditions . I see there is a low tide tomorrow at 5:45 am and was wanting to wet my line . Am i wasting my time ? I have never fished dirty water before and wonder if shad will be croozing ? I will hopefully be fishing around the rocks and gulleys . Any advise is greatly appreciated

Hey Adrian

I would be at the water if I was you, firstly you would never know if the fish are biting if your fly is not in the water. Down in the Cape this type of conditions would mean steenbras are moving into the estuaries to feed on the prawns that gets washed away. Not to sure if this would be the case in Natal. Kob love dirty water and Shad as well, I would fish the fringes of this colour lines, if you can, and I would use a intermediate or full sinker. You must also remember that freshwater is not as dense as saltwater and this will amke that the dirty water(freshwater) "float" ontop of the saltwater, thus there will be clear water underneath and all the baitfish ect that gets washed out with the current will hang in this dirty water to avoid being seen by the predators. So yes it might be worth it to go afterall, just take big bulky flies in dark browns, olive and black. Tie some with lots of flash and others with less flash and see what the fish like. But in the end just go have fun, not every week we can fish on a wednesday.

Dewald
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Booger Rose Banned User

Hi Adrian

Make a plan and get to the water. Fish the fringes (edge of dirty water) and go deep. Lots of food and micro organisms in these estuary water and nice place for smaller fish to hide.

Also no expert with the fly in salt but I do know that kob (or salmon in KZN) love these conditions.

Definitely worth a throw and as Tom Sutcliffe said in one of his books - even if you don't catch anything, learn something.
    Clive

"One final cast for luck, and the really last throw in honour of a fair lady ... If they don't rise to that, they are no gentlemen" - Anon

Thanks Guys for all the info and advise , leaving sparrows tomorrow to wet the line
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."