Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 10' 5WT Rods ?

Question 10' 5WT Rods ?

Howdy,

I fished the Stealth Magnum 10' this past Sunday and did like it much better than the 9' I had fished the previous weekend. For some reason the action is better, it's sensitive when SLN and it has enough backbone to fight a good sized fish as well as cast a long line and aside frm that the 9' kept making the most annoying sound when you load the rod, almost like it's squealing just before the break.

I have also seen the Greys 10' rods but havn't had a cast on them.

Any comments on the 10' rods out there and your experiences/preferences on them when viewed in the light of the fact that I fish mostly (ok, only on the Vaal) SLN as well as casting a long line, but would like a rod I could interchangeably use on the Vaal and/or Sterkfontein ?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Default 10 Foot

Jongman,

I have never used one or heard of one used on Sterkies. Zoran used a TCR 9' 6 against conventional believe that 5 is right. He was very happy no complaints. Long casts and I mean loooong casts no problem. Fish caught and landed. Sterkies you have clear backcast area-no trees, but you have high banks, where the extra 12 inches will be an advantage. I believe there it's more about the ability of the angler to cast a decent sexy loop. Any good quality rod will do the job.

On the Vaal I would say yes go for it. Great for the casting and control. This is after all a BIG river so little problem with overhead canopy etc.

Big river by our standards, but relitivly small by the rest of the world, expecialy acording to tons / second...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Yip but since we stay out here we'll stick to "big river" especially for Scythe he only knows the Vaal. Overhead canopy in reference to the "small" rivers in our country. < 2 cumecs then ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Howdy,

I fished the Stealth Magnum 10' this past Sunday and did like it much better than the 9' I had fished the previous weekend. For some reason the action is better, it's sensitive when SLN and it has enough backbone to fight a good sized fish as well as cast a long line and aside frm that the 9' kept making the most annoying sound when you load the rod, almost like it's squealing just before the break.

I have also seen the Greys 10' rods but havn't had a cast on them.

Any comments on the 10' rods out there and your experiences/preferences on them when viewed in the light of the fact that I fish mostly (ok, only on the Vaal) SLN as well as casting a long line, but would like a rod I could interchangeably use on the Vaal and/or Sterkfontein ?
    I have a 6weight 10ft guide series, apart from the cork handle being a a bit flimsy its a great rod and I love it.....

How's the dry fly tying coming along?
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Yet to start

I am also very keen on a 10' #6 stealth magnum. I cant at this stage justify spending three times as much on the greys and being the philistine that I am the stealth actually felt better than the #4/5 greys i tested. It would have been nice to do an "apples with apples" comparison and get a hold of #6/7 greys though...

How about we convince our buddies at Solly's to do us a special two rods deal Scythe?
    Check your knots!

TFO 10' 5WT 4Pce Lefty Kreh Professional Series ordered this morning ... with a little luck it will be here just in time for my birthday and it's a helluva lot cheaper than either the Greys or the Stealth.

I think it will go nicely with my TFO 9' 7WT 4Pce TiCR-X Lefty Kreh Signature Series, don't you ?

Ok, please correct me if I'm wrong (the pro's out there ONLY), but a 9' rod would give one far better casts compared to a 10' while the 10' has got ‘that’ extra foot and a bit which is nice for handling and controlling the line while sort line nymphing.
    (The contradiction)
    I use an Explorer 10'3" guide series - not an expensive rod but it does all one needs for SN and if I have to cast like last Sat on the Orange River it served me very well. Besides I feel that technology these days are so advanced and little if not nothing more an expensive brand conscious rod would bring.

...my 2 1/2 + 5c thank you
    No PAIN No Gain

one comment on the Guide is that it’s fitted with a AFTMA reels seat, so if you have a real that isn’t AFTMA (like the Shimano Integra), it’s a bit too tight a fit, you’ll damage the anodising on the reel.

So, b4 getting a 10ft Xplorer Guide, check that your reel fits.
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast