Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 weight build

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Rols, if you struggle with the thread pulling through, relax the tension a little on the winds, maybe that will help.

Tacking number: TC091714477ZA
    Thanks Mario
    You are a Star......Can't wait
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Doesn't superglue leave a white mark when it dries ?
    Usually yes. But you use so little and it soak into the thread so you see nothing. I think just to be safe do a test piece in and old rod or a pen or something till you get it right.
    That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn’t good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin and Hobbes)

http://pipersystem.com

OK, After a week I finally got the first two wraps at a point where I'm happy with it. Thanks Mike for that trim wrap tutorial you sent us. It certainly helped a lot. The only problem now is that I feel I should do the first one( at the hook keeper) over

I think that I'm going to keep the trim wraps to only the female ferrule parts of the remaining wraps with only one wrap as it is on the decorative wrap. What do you guys think? Any comments is welcome please.

THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

Quote Originally Posted by Morne View Post
    The only problem now is that I feel I should do the first one( at the hook keeper) over
    Hi Morne,

It looks very good. I had the same problem when I was doing my rod, I was never happy with the wraps and always wanted to redo them. Everytime I redid a wrap, 50% of the time it would look worse Eventually I sent it to the expert (Mario) to complete for me
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Thanks Darryl, I'm slowly getting there

Any advise on how long the female ferrule wraps should be? The male part fits quite deep into the female part. Surely you shouldn't wrap for the entire length that it fits inside?
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."

Thanks Darryl, I'm slowly getting there

Any advise on how long the female ferrule wraps should be? The male part fits quite deep into the female part. Surely you shouldn't wrap for the entire length that it fits inside?
    Hi Morne,

I am sure Mario or Mike could give you the correct answer As a thumbsuck I would say make those wraps a similar width to your other wraps - all looks equal.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Just finished the stripping guide wrap.

My first guide after the stripping guide fits just above the ferrule. Should I just move the guide up slightly, and by how much? Do I then move all the rest of the guides up by the same amount as well. On the pic is looks a lot more, but is only about 4 wraps wide.

THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

Hi Morne'. I just love the way you did the trim bands in the 2nd pic. How many turns is that, it looks like one. Looks really classy boet. Brilliant job so far.
    That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn’t good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin and Hobbes)

http://pipersystem.com

Howzit Morne

Looking good! I'd re-wrap the thread and trim wrap on the hook-keeper though, to also have a single trim wrap like the ones in the second pic...uniformity, you know? But of course...if you like it that way, leave it as is.

The first single foot guide issue...move it up 1cm from where it is now, and then start the thread wrap 1mm from the female ferrule end, and continue the wrap right up the guide foot. This will be more than sufficient to secure the guide and re-inforce the female ferrule.
    Also, no need to move the other guides...it will be fine.

Regards
    Mike

Morne, for a 1st rod the wraps are REALLY good. To be honest, can't really see that they can get better. They are evenly spaced (tightly packed with bo visible gaps), and ended and trimmed well. Once the Flex goes on though, and minute gaps will be unearthed , but I doubt that this will happen. Those wraps look great!

Btw, the darker the thread, the less gaps will show up without CP when the Flex goes on. File, Save that little bit of info - a little cheating thing for many builders, they only use black

You basically only need to protect/strengthen the 1st 10mm of the female section, as that is where the weakest point would be. But, as Darryl has said, try and make all the wraps of uniform length, just for visual uniformity.

On the SFG on the female of what I reckon would be the 3rd section, I would make sure there is about 10mm of thread before the SFG starts.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast