Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 weight build

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    I am going to take one of my #3 rods, but another 10 guides on the blank.
    Then I will have an #8 rod.

It makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Then I will convert my #5 for the upcoming trip to a #10 by adding another 8 guides.

Why has any one not thought of this before. We only nead 2 or 3 blanks to cover the whole spectrum of rods.

Maybe have removable eyes, that you can clip on or off.

Depending on the weight you require, you decide in the parking lot how many eyes you want to take off and which line weight you want to fish.
    OK Korrie,point made,the point is we are not all experts, i visited and expert and these where his comments,i was just looking for some clarity,also when it comes to experts i bought a real yesterday based on the comments from the great Tom sutcliff,then find out its a sh111t reel, so,eevn the experts get it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Nick, did he actually cast these lines with the rod, or just do the usual obligatory "shop wiggle" ?
    I took the rod and a 3# line and cast it and it seemed fine,but when i cast with a 2# line i had at home it did seem easier!!!.......now the down side hear is i am not an expert and the fine difference between the 2 lines i probally would not have noticed.....Mike built the rod and i will take it as a true 3# and have purchased the reel to match his reccomendation,i am now only concerned with which 3# line to buy...Again sorry Rols and Morne,i will start a new thread about the line.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    OK Korrie,point made,the point is we are not all experts, i visited and expert and these where his comments,i was just looking for some clarity,also when it comes to experts i bought a real yesterday based on the comments from the great Tom sutcliff,then find out its a sh111t reel, so,eevn the experts get it wrong.

I took the rod and a 3# line and cast it and it seemed fine,but when i cast with a 2# line i had at home it did seem easier!!!.......now the down side hear is i am not an expert and the fine difference between the 2 lines i probally would not have noticed.....Mike built the rod and i will take it as a true 3# and have purchased the reel to match his reccomendation,i am now only concerned with which 3# line to buy...Again sorry Rols and Morne,i will start a new thread about the line.
    Create your line thread and we can chat a bit more there.

No problem Nick. Thanks for the info. this actualy bring up something that I have been thinking of.

To the guys who have build these blanks. I must still buy a line for this rod as my smallest line is a 3 weight. I have often read about overlinining a rod. Seeing that this is a short rod how does it cast with a 2 weight line?. Will it be better to just stick a 3 weight line on or will this just be missing the point of having a 2 weight rod? I understand that a short rod will be used in more tight/overgrown sections on the streams and short casts will be nessasary. Will the rod load properly with a 2 weight line?
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

Quote Originally Posted by Morne View Post
    No problem Nick. Thanks for the info. this actualy bring up something that I have been thinking of.

To the guys who have build these blanks. I must still buy a line for this rod as my smallest line is a 3 weight. I have often read about overlinining a rod. Seeing that this is a short rod how does it cast with a 2 weight line?. Will it be better to just stick a 3 weight line on or will this just be missing the point of having a 2 weight rod? I understand that a short rod will be used in more tight/overgrown sections on the streams and short casts will be nessasary. Will the rod load properly with a 2 weight line?

Just started a thread asking the same question.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Nicholas,
    You mention the word EXPERT.

Every EXPERT?? has his own idea of what is right and when is someone and expert, and judged by who, will he be an expert?

As you probaly have noticed thru all my replies, I have always made a point, that every one should try and test a product for as long as possible.

You being a chef, would know, each one has own idea about steak. The same applies with flyrods, reels and lines.

If some one mentions this should work better with a #2 line, ask why, demonstrate to me, I want to test it. Take the #3 line as well, ask why it is not applicable, why is the 3 better than the 2.

I am of the opinion, that we believe the experts, in any field, cars, cooking, fishing, banking etc too easy.

I developed a tailing loop, in my casting. For about 3 years I struggled with a tailing loop on my casts. I looked at every video, book etc.
    All of the solutions came down to the same, increase the speed in the last power snap. It just got worse. I think I had the fastest speed in the delivery snap of all in the world.

With tailing loops, you have wind knots etc. My frustrations grew. None of the EXPERTS could help me. My Stillwater fishing became a night mare.

I ended up in Sean Mills shop. I asked another EXPERT. maybe he could help me. He looked at the first cast, and he commented. SLOW DOWN your casting. I did.
    Problem solved.

The moral of the story is each, expert has his own idea to solve a problem.
    How many times have you heard. GET A SECOND OPINION, when you go to a doctor with a serious problem.
    The same applies to fly fishing.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Rols, the parcel is being sent overnight today, it was never sent by the person I entrusted it too My apologies, for what they are worth
    No problem Mario, I know what it's like......(whispers) Gives me time to let Morne find the curve balls.....
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Morne View Post

Howzit Morne'

The idea with overlining does have some merit. The basic theory is that a fly rod is made to cast the first 9 or so meters of fly line. This 9 meters will load the rod properly allowing the rest of the line to shoot. With a 3 weight like yours your will hardly ever cast more than 9 meters. In essence you will be doing most of your casting to about maybe between the 4 and 6 meter range. Problem is your rod is not loading and working properly with this distance because there is not enough line out of the rod tip to load the rod. This is why guys overline... A 4 weight line on a 3 weight rod will make the rod load and work with about 6 or so meters out of the rod, so casting theoretically becomes easier. You need less false casting to get the line out and spook less fish. You are also able to cast slightly larger flies and can fight the wind a bit more. Problem is though that you sacrifice a bit on presentation. Hope this helps
    That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn’t good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin and Hobbes)

http://pipersystem.com

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    roland, you're welcome to come around and get some parts from me (if you don't mind the drive out south) - got threadbar, springs, washers and wingnuts left over.
    Thanks Eben
    I hear there is an American aircraft carrier and Missile boat coming to Simonstown over the weekend. We might take a drive out to the "back country" this weekend to have a look. Can I give you a shout Sunday morning?
    Thanks for the offer
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

you can join the bloody whale watchers (what is it that makes people loose the ability to drive or park the moment they see a whale ?) and the hordes of Noordhoek environmentalists that will be no doubt be staging a "don't park your nuke boat in our backyard" protest

cool, no probs Roland, just call me on the cell and we can make a plan.

P.S. The "back country" is Kommetjie and further south, but we don't mention them
    Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery element are made for wise men to contemplate, and for fools to pass by without consideration - Izaak Walton

Morne,

Are you using Gudebrod Nylon thread ?

What colour / code pls ?
    Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery element are made for wise men to contemplate, and for fools to pass by without consideration - Izaak Walton

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast