Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A few random vaal flies

Default A few random vaal flies

Caddis for the evenings - tied on a #10 scud. Gold bead body, uv caelibaetis "shuck", holo brown dubbed thorax, klipspringer antennae

Same as before except the pic was taken without the camera flash to show the bead and thorax. The actual colour of the "shuck" is somewhere between the two extrems in the two pics

Hot spot mayfly imitation tied on a #14 nymph hook. Pine squirrel tail, uv tan ice dub blended with tan hares ear dubbing for the abdomen, peacock hearl thorax and prismatic sheet for the wing case.

Various olive, tan and caelibaetis control nymphs in scuds #10 and #12 and circles #6. Some use the prismatic sheet instead of vinyl scud back and some use clear scud back. I experimented with different ribbings from wire to flash to mono to braid and I prefer using the balck braid as in the last fly. The small chennile on the "hotspot" control caddis has an amazing gill affect which isnt shown very well by the pic. I'll defintiely be using this instead of traditional dubbing for more of my control flies. Its just as slim, has better movement and ribs incredibly well.

As you can see nothing to fancy but its great experimenting with different materials and I can really recommend trying the small chennile instead of dubbing and the braid instead of wire or mono as ribbing (if you have it already, its pretty pricey). Any thoughts, questions or suggestions?
    Last edited by jock0; 23-09-08 at 12:59 AM. Reason: links
    Check your knots!

Default A few different vaal flies

Again, just a few random flies I've tied recently but they all incorporate the idea of a "clicker" - basically one bead sliding down the shank and coliding with another bead. Probably not competition legal but who cares seeing as it molests barbel

I used #4 4xl, 2xh hooks to provide the platform for the "clicker" and give you that little bit of extra protection from being bitten off when you hook a decent barbel. The action of the split zonker is incredible and I'm really happy with these flies. The 20lb flouro loop stops the zonker from tangling but I dont think this is really necessary.

Check your knots!

Lekker. Your tying has improved nicely.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Looking very good buddy.

I like the "clicker". Think i will try to tie some soon.

I also have a new fly in my box. I dont have a pic but i will show you tomorow.
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

Nice flies Jock0, hey where did you get those circle hooks from?
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

Quote Originally Posted by rory View Post
    Nice flies Jock0, hey where did you get those circle hooks from?
    Thanks guys. Rory the circles are one's I've had for the last year or so but I have a packet of #10's I can give you tomorrow? I've only got about 3 #6's and about 10 #8's left so gonna be in the same boat soon...
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Thanks guys. Rory the circles are one's I've had for the last year or so but I have a packet of #10's I can give you tomorrow? I've only got about 3 #6's and about 10 #8's left so gonna be in the same boat soon...
    #10's!! Hell if you don't need them that would be great. I'll swop you some of those bombs??

Quote Originally Posted by rory View Post
    #10's!! Hell if you don't need them that would be great. I'll swop you some of those bombs??

Done! Just remind me to give them to you tomorrow please
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Done! Just remind me to give them to you tomorrow please
    No problemo!

That nymph is a yellow assasin!!!

Hy sal loop soos 'n Jet!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast