Thread: Will this fly work on Largemouth Yellows?

Default Will this fly work on Largemouth Yellows?

Hi guys

I have been looking around on one or 20 fly fishing sites and came across this interesting patern. Its basicaly a dhalberg diver tied with dumbell eyes so that you can fish it on the bottom and it will have a jigging action. I tied one just to see it swim and maybe the fish like it. Its actualy a smallmouth bass patern but I am sure that the largies wil eat this "thing".

Next place I am going to try it is the estuaries for some cob, they would love this profile of that I am sure and the way it swims will get them to eat it.

Now what do you think?

Its about 10cm long and tied on a 1/0 longshank mustad hook.
    black strung hackle tail
    Brown marrabou collar
    and olive spun deer hair
    4mm dumbell eyes
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Im sure that will work....maybe just a bigger hook for the kob.just dont like the closed hook gap from the deer hair.......as stated before my new first choice kob fly is the sempler.awesome movement,would be keen to know if the guys have had success with this for the largemouth yellows...???
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

HI Deewy,

I think this fly will catch most fish. Also came across it. One can replace the marabou collar with fur strips, this they call the bunny muddler. If you replace the collar with uv chenille, they then call it the disco muddler.

Nice tie and pics.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Look at Horst's Water Dog ... very similar to that and the Water Dog takes more than it's fair share of Largies.

Agent Stiff, I've been chucking small sempers for the largies but not very consistently, there's no reason why they won't hit it. Same thing for my uBer Largie hunting mates who are also into the SW fishing, they've been chucking them but not hard enough to actually confirm the fly's success.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Look at Horst's Water Dog ... very similar to that and the Water Dog takes more than it's fair share of Largies.

Agent Stiff, I've been chucking small sempers for the largies but not very consistently, there's no reason why they won't hit it. Same thing for my uBer Largie hunting mates who are also into the SW fishing, they've been chucking them but not hard enough to actually confirm the fly's success.
    I have tied this with dumbell eyes so it would sink...was just checking if someone might like it. I will be chucking this for a cobie this weekend and a smallmouth bass in a couple of weeks time when the river drops.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Check out my Deerhead Streamer,similar fly,mamba results!!!!

G

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    HI Deewy,

I think this fly will catch most fish. Also came across it. One can replace the marabou collar with fur strips, this they call the bunny muddler. If you replace the collar with uv chenille, they then call it the disco muddler.

Nice tie and pics.

Dave
    Disco muddler, very similar, should also catch yellows.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Default Bunny muddler

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    HI Deewy,

Nice tie and pics.

Dave
    Bunny muddler
    Attached Images Attached Images

Will definitely nail bass with this one. I have a similar pattern with purple marabou.
    Clive

"One final cast for luck, and the really last throw in honour of a fair lady ... If they don't rise to that, they are no gentlemen" - Anon

Looks like it will nail pike too.