Thread: Deerhair Spitting shad

Default Deerhair Spitting shad

HI GUYS,

Remembered a good bass plug that had such a nice action, that I thought of doing something similar for saltwater purposes. Constructed properly it does not ''pop'' but pushes water as if ''spitting'' water.

Hook: 1/0 Bandit s/shank.
    Thread: 6/0 White.
    Flashabou: Silver extra limp.
    Tail: White calf tail.
    Body: Silver uv chenille.
    Glue: Bostic clear water resistant.
    Eyes: Stick on of choice.

First tie in deerhair and spin untill you have enough up to hook eye. Push d/hair forward and loosely wrap cotton as in pic so that glue can be applied.

Once glue is dry, tie in calf tail above hook bend and also add about 6 strands flashabou on either side.

Now tie in your body material of choice and wind up to the dear hair head. Tie off and cement.

Turn the vice so that the fly faces you. Now with your finger insert into the deer hair to seperate and get a hollow effect. Once you are happy, apply glue here as well and make sure you do not block the eye. Once dry, snip to get most jagged hairs off.

Add eyes and fly is complete.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Interesting fly. I have so much deerhair, I'm definately going to try this one out.
    Cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    Interesting fly. I have so much deerhair, I'm definately going to try this one out.
    Cheers
    A much easier fly to cast long distances as well, compared to my big poppers.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Thumbs up

Looks good..

Thanks Dave..
    I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

very nice fly, will have to try it
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Quote Originally Posted by Dieter View Post
    Looks good..

Thanks Dave..
    Quote Originally Posted by pieterkriel View Post
    very nice fly, will have to try it
    Thanx guys, want to try it soon.

Dave