Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Groendal Dam Reserve

Default Groendal Dam Reserve

HI GUYS,

Just cannot believe the damage caused by bush fires that have plagued us the past weeks. Seems as nothing was done to stop this devastation. We have a dam with lots of water, why was it not utilised??? Helicopters could have scooped water and dropped it when it initially started burning.

This was not done, and so this scenic reserve has been severely damaged. Who knows how long, if ever it will take to repair itself.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    HI GUYS,

Just cannot believe the damage caused by bush fires that have plagued us the past weeks. Seems as nothing was done to stop this devastation. We have a dam with lots of water, why was it not utilised??? Helicopters could have scooped water and dropped it when it initially started burning.

This was not done, and so this scenic reserve has been severely damaged. Who knows how long, if ever it will take to repair itself.

Dave
    Unfortunately this area is controlled by idiots. If it meant mass employement, something maybe would HAVE happened. But as usual, african time was used and everyone including nature suffered. We are killing our world.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Hi Dave, I fished the Groendal Dam once many years ago. What a beautiful spot, with many willing smallies to boot. How is the fishing these days?
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
    Hi Dave, I fished the Groendal Dam once many years ago. What a beautiful spot, with many willing smallies to boot. How is the fishing these days?
    HI Kevin,

Fishing is always good here, but a battle to book for a day. Mostly fully booked.

Dave

Speaking of fires.

Have you chaps seen what the yanks answer to fire fighting is?

a DC10. while the rest of us use prop driven planes and wossy helichpooers these guys take a DC10 and just add water. Now this is a fire fighting machine. Just one of these and we could have sorted those fires in KZN, Mphumahlanga and Limpopo in a day or two.

http://telstarlogistics.typepad.com/...-dc-10-ai.html
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

Here is a clip of it in action.

http://telstarlogistics.typepad.com/...water-bom.html

we could use one of these to flush the rock snot out the vaal

HI GUYS,

For anyone that has fished this beautiful dam they will know what vegetation and wildlife has been destroyed. Burnt to the waters edge in places.

I always take my kickboat to use here and leave the others to fish from the boat. Have better control while ff from my k/boat, slower and more silent.

Once fishing there I was amased to see a wild leopard in its natural habitat come to drink water. We both just stared at each other, not moving, just staring until it realised I was no danger and decided to drink. Felt like an eternity. Did not even reach for my camera to take a pic, afraid of startling it. But that pic is still with me. Wonder now if that will ever happen again.

Dave

HI GUYS,

For anyone that has fished this beautiful dam they will know what vegetation and wildlife has been destroyed. Burnt to the waters edge in places.

I always take my kickboat to use here and leave the others to fish from the boat. Have better control while ff from my k/boat, slower and more silent.

Once fishing there I was amased to see a wild leopard in its natural habitat come to drink water. We both just stared at each other, not moving, just staring until it realised I was no danger and decided to drink. Felt like an eternity. Did not even reach for my camera to take a pic, afraid of startling it. But that pic is still with me. Wonder now if that will ever happen again.

Dave
    "A moment is time, a memory of mine"

One of the many reasons to get out and go fishing.

It must have been a great experience, not one that comes along often.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    "A moment is time, a memory of mine"

One of the many reasons to get out and go fishing.

It must have been a great experience, not one that comes along often.
    Wonder if I will ever have that pleasure again. Pity we missed each other when you were here, one of the ff places I would have mentioned to you. The other being the saltwater place I go to,(rarely these days, safety) is the estuarie fishing at Perserverance on the Swartkops river.(upriver)

Dave

Wonder if I will ever have that pleasure again. Pity we missed each other when you were here, one of the ff places I would have mentioned to you. The other being the saltwater place I go to,(rarely these days, safety) is the estuarie fishing at Perserverance on the Swartkops river.(upriver)

Dave
    No worries Sir.

I am hoping to get out your way again before the end of the year. We have one trip left to each region before christmass and i might just pull rank for the eastern cape. I always do for the northern cape.

Looking forward to the day we can fish together and swop stories.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast