Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: infinity-coming to a store near you.

I AM OFFENDED BY THIS THREAD !

Now give me an Infinity, Bomber and matching Cold Saltwater lines to make up for my emotional distress.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

I have cast the 10" #3 rod, took it fishing as well.

I was one of the guys who where mentioned in the out of season fishing thread as well.

Dave had to threaten me with his mafia connections to get the rod back. He did not even believe me when I said I accidentally stood on it. It is now use to send back the broken pieces. Just a wastage of postal money.

MCC mentioned that he does not enjoy fishing with a 10" rod the whole day.
    I have been fishing with long rods since 2003 and advocating its use from the start.

This is a rod that I would happily fish the whole day with. But then I am not a dry fly purist. It might limit your fishing in certain bushy areas. But if I want to cast there I would split the rod in half and cast a 5" rod.

Anything you can do with a7"6 or 8" rod I will be able to do with a 10" rod. But you will not be able to everything I do with a 10" rod with a 7"6 or 8" rod.

Fishing with a longer rod, does take time to get use to. But the same applies if you have been driving a 4x4 and you change to a sports car. Once you learn how to appreciate the different qualities of the sports car you can start enjoying your drive so much more. The same applies to fishing a long rod.

The most people I speak to and ask them if they have ever fished 2 or 3 weeks continously with a long rod, have to admit NO.
    They tried it for an hour but did not like it.

Fish with a long rod for a extended period, get use to the casting stroke. The different balance in your hand etc.

I find it difficult to fish with a short rod now. I don't have the reach, I don't have the control over my line. I continously have to worry about drag on the extra line on the water. With all of this I am not concentrating on the fly or leader and missing the very fine sereptious takes.

I have taken numerous fly fishers to the water, especially streams. I have helped them with their fly fishing. I have asked them so many times, why did they not strike, when there was a take. Their answer is always the same "but that can't be a take"
    How do you know if you don't set the hook?
    When you take a bite from a cookie, do you always take a bit bite, or do you sometimes, take the smallest nibble? Fish do exactly the same. Sometimes they take the slightest nibble.

A long rod offers me the opportunity to concentrate only on the fly/leader for the take.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    True, I like the fact that Gary is bringing new stuff to the market, and that he is prepared to advertise that fact, thus having confidence in the product... my concern is that he is questioning the reputation of a competitive brand, and thus opening himself up for abuse...

Note that Dave has replace 2 of my Scott's... Gary chose to say Sage... Idiot... LOL
    My point remains the same. Scott has a charge,R295.00. The rod gets replaced but its not for free, Which is what a lifetime warentee should be for me.
    I hope i'm not questioning the reputation of any brand. If anything the waranttee policy is my target because it gives us the impression we can do any stupid thing to a rod and its covered. How many times have we left rods in car doors and the wind blows.Or a comment i got this week via email."i lost the tip of my rod in a fencing match with a hermit crab"
    Now who's fault is that and who should take responsibility for buying a new part?

But Gary, initially the premium rod manufactures actually insured their customers purchases for them, approximately 40% of the purchase price went to the insurance company. When they were flush enough, they self covered… (as per Niel Rowe)

This means I can break it in any way I want, as 40% of the purchase price is warranty, any rod manufacturer who charges the same as the premier brands that doesn’t offer a life time, is ripping the customer for the 40% insurance…

You Scott replacement price includes the shipping, right, thus it is correct, the Sage one also requires shipping.
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Thanks for the info Gary i found it very helpful and informative!

With regards to warranties i agree with you here!

Higher end more expensive rod companies replace bits for free but thats because they factor this into the selling price of the rod!

Nothing is for free!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    But Gary, initially the premium rod manufactures actually insured their customers purchases for them, approximately 40% of the purchase price went to the insurance company. When they were flush enough, they self covered… (as per Niel Rowe)

This means I can break it in any way I want, as 40% of the purchase price is warranty, any rod manufacturer who charges the same as the premier brands that doesn’t offer a life time, is ripping the customer for the 40% insurance…
    that was probably true and i can only comment on what i know and how we have had to deal with spares. Frankly i wonder how many still operate that way.We have worked on a replacement rate of 10% on rods. If there are more than that then we generally look into wether its a manufacturing fault and deal with it.
    We killed the Ultra range because the 5 and 6wts kept breaking on the ferrule.

Thanks Gary! Always nice to know about new tackle that's coming on to the market.

Question: are the 3wt Infinity's only available in 10ft?

Any chance we could get more info on the Nanotech and Adventure series specs perhaps or is this still a surprise? Also which ranges have been discontinued?
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    The rods I own have lifetime warranties, and I have (unfortunately) used the warranties on a few occasions. It is definitely not a myth. the fact that I have 2 brand new rods is testment to that.
    I must say i have had the not so pleasant experience of replacing 4 Orvis rods. Although i must say i am extremely happy when i receive a brand new model rod!
    I think from the initial purchase price i have broken even when i consider i've received 4 brand new rods. And with the Helios out i plan on snapping my Zero Gravity over my knee in about 6 months time and receiving a brand new Helios - no questions aksed

Saying all that it is still cheaper overall to buy a very decent SA brand such as Horizon and after snapping a section replacing it for less the R200.

Am very keen to try out this new 10' 3wt
    I'll stay as long as i can fish. . .

Whenever the "club" for geniuses - MENSA - was mentioned, I always wondered if their was an opposite equivalent society for imbeciles. Now I know, it's called ANCYL.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    And with the Helios out i plan on snapping my Zero Gravity over my knee in about 6 months time and receiving a brand new Helios - no questions aksed
    Now this is why we want to do away with lifetime warranties...people take advantage of it.

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    I don't see why you guys can't have a thread and post new things? I found it very informative. As long as the guys don't knock each others product. Im just talking of Joe Soap saying..."New range of wading boots arrived, latest hand held gps / fishfinder blah blah. " At least we, who don't frequent tackle shops all that often, now know "hey I'm looking at a new waterproof jacket...wonder what theirs is like? "
    I agree Rols. It would also save money as you can get product info upfront before you are spoken into something you did not actually want. I know you can google and research etc, but we don't always do that and on the forum, you get 1st hand feedback by replies on the thread by "users" of the particular product. I enjoyed reading Gary's post. Very informative and has shed new light on the product for me.
    Clive

"One final cast for luck, and the really last throw in honour of a fair lady ... If they don't rise to that, they are no gentlemen" - Anon

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast