Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: F Fly Pattern ( CDC )

Gaza Banned User

Default F Fly Pattern ( CDC )

Hi all
    Anybody care to share a SA version of the F Fly . Am going to Sterkies , and want to try this fly out. Just looking for a decent tying instruction.
    Have Googled a few versions , but it seems there are different ideas on how to tie this fly.
    Help ...

Hi Gaza

Check out the April/May 2008 issue of "Flyfishing Magazine". Dave Weaver had his "Faddis" in there...an adaptation of the F-Fly and a caddis fly using CDC. Excellent pattern in my opinion on Sterkfontein.
    Also, check out the CDC Adult Caddis dry fly I tie, here (includes step by step):
    http://www.ganador.co.za/CDCCaddis.html
    I've used it on Sterkfontein with great results.

regards
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Hi Gaza

Check out the April/May 2008 issue of "Flyfishing Magazine". Dave Weaver had his "Faddis" in there...an adaptation of the F-Fly and a caddis fly using CDC. Excellent pattern in my opinion on Sterkfontein.
    Also, check out the CDC Adult Caddis dry fly I tie, here (includes step by step):
    http://www.ganador.co.za/CDCCaddis.html
    I've used it on Sterkfontein with great results.

regards
    Mike
    very nice fly and so simple, yet deadly.
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    very nice fly and so simple, yet deadly.
    Sometimes the simplest flies are the most effective. Plus you don't need any floatant on the caddis dry tied with CDC wing. Just a flick and it floats again...really excellent pattern.

The CDC fly in Olives are DEADLY on Sterkies from size # 12 to 16. I tie them with all CDC fibres. Twist as wrope for abdomen and tie in wing as normal.

Ja boet ... use a no 16 scud hook ... tie a CDC feather by the tips at the bend of the hook and palmer the feather to the eye ... the base of the CDC will start flaring out at the eye to have the effect of a soft hackle ... tie off at the eye ... most effective fly for me at Sterkies ...

I tie only the wing with CDC...as I want the abdomen to sink into the water's surface film. I don't want the abdomen to float on the surface.

I guess both methods would work, I just prefer the abdomen to sit lower in the surface film.

I have normaly used a light olive/ yellow colour for the body here in the Cape.
    Any other suggested colours or variations for the Cape streams ? ( if you are willing to share your secrets )
    Last edited by croozer; 01-10-08 at 10:38 AM.

Speaking of cdc,get Marc Petijean's cdc.Best out there

G

Take a couple of the F&K Caddis. It will gaurantee you a couple of fish.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.