Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Suspected Stonebream ?

Default Suspected Stonebream ?

Hi Guys need some help with ID'ing this fish . Was going through my pics and when i caught this one i thought it was a cape moonie , but looking back now it looks like a stonebream . Please can you guys advise
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

Looks like a Stonebream to me.

I dunno, usually all fish labelled 'bream' have a similar kind of look which looks nothing like that little guy.

A friend of mine also caught one of those on the KZN coast and referred to it as a Moonie.

Would be interresting to hear what Clarias MopToppias has to say about that.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Looks like a Stonebream to me.
    Spot on, that it is.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Hi there

Yes, it is a Stonebream. It's often confused with Galjoen and in Afrikaans it's called a "Stinkpens" because of the bad odour.

Cheers
    MC

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    I dunno, usually all fish labelled 'bream' have a similar kind of look which looks nothing like that little guy.

A friend of mine also caught one of those on the KZN coast and referred to it as a Moonie.

Would be interresting to hear what Clarias MopToppias has to say about that.
    The black spot on the gill and dark pectoral fin is a marker of the stonebream. The mooney has much bigger eyes with a light pectoral fin.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Booger Rose Banned User

I know this fish as a Stinkvis or a Pens en derms. Reason being that this fish must have more derms per gram than any other fish on the planet. If you clean it more than half of the fish is binnegoed and it realy is quite smelly.

Good stuff, thanks, this is good to know, so we all learn.

They're quite easy to pick up right off the edges of rocks banks on a pushing tide and take fairly big flies with Gusto.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Hi there

Yes, it is a Stonebream. It's often confused with Galjoen and in Afrikaans it's called a "Stinkpens" because of the bad odour.

Cheers
    MC
    Also spot on, the slimy is also sometimes mistaken for a stonebream, and visa-versa.

Dave

Some useless info:

If you were to gut one of these you find a long gut for the digestion of plant matter and a abdominal cavity lining that is pitch black to stop further photosynthesis of ingested plant material. And subsequent ballooning of Mr. Stinkie. They are primarily herbivores.

I have eaten them before and would rate Cane Rat as ten times better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast