Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Artificial Fibre Bass Bug

I dont have a link for the thread company.

Dave
    There is no hard and fast rules with this. You can do as you please with the spinning, winding, loops.

I describe things that I discovered etc, you might find a new, better way to do it. Then you can teach me something.

Everytime I play around with the synthetics/artificial fibres, I discover a new "thing" for me. It might be old for some, but for me it is new.

A lot of the books etc that I read, did tying with artificials along the traditional methods.
    After I am finished with some of the "things" that I tried and tied and done the final trimming with the sciccors, it looks like some PUNK went to the hairdresser. I am just having lots of fun.
    I encourage you to do the same.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    I dont have a link for the thread company.

Dave
    There is no hard and fast rules with this. You can do as you please with the spinning, winding, loops.

I describe things that I discovered etc, you might find a new, better way to do it. Then you can teach me something.

Everytime I play around with the synthetics/artificial fibres, I discover a new "thing" for me. It might be old for some, but for me it is new.

A lot of the books etc that I read, did tying with artificials along the traditional methods.
    After I am finished with some of the "things" that I tried and tied and done the final trimming with the sciccors, it looks like some PUNK went to the hairdresser. I am just having lots of fun.
    I encourage you to do the same.
    Also starting to have fun. This and weaving flies takes the boredom out of flytying the same patterns over and over. New techniques although not easy are interesting, the difficulty is what keeps me interested. Just sometimes abstain from asking questions.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

This ones body is spun, the rest is stacked . This one has dumbell eyes for weight. Trying to keep the materials sparse for better movement. Getting there.

Dave.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Well done Dave.
    Combining spinning and stacking will give you even more options.
    It is good to see that you don't try and use to much material.
    When you strip the material compresses. If you use to much it comprimises the look of the fly.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Well done Dave.
    Combining spinning and stacking will give you even more options.
    It is good to see that you don't try and use to much material.
    When you strip the material compresses. If you use to much it comprimises the look of the fly.
    Thanks Korrie,

You most probably have noticed that so far no flash has been included in these 2 flies. First using attractive colours to practise, when I feel more satisfied I will then add sparckle.

Dave

You will need very little flash.
    Most of the artificials have a high degree or some form of flash.
    In my personal opinion, I sometimes think flash is a bit overated.
    If you dive with a shoal of fish, how many times do you see a flash of the light reflections in a whole school?
    It is one or two in a shoal that you will see when the turn etc.
    If you strip a normal fly, the predator fish needs to be 100% in the correct spot to see the normal flash we put in if it is a correct imitation of what we have tied and fish.
    A fly like a Flashy profile has lots of flash, that is a bit diffirent.

But I suppose flash can't do any harm.

But this is just my opinion.
    Korrie Broos

You will need very little flash.
    Most of the artificials have a high degree or some form of flash.
    In my personal opinion, I sometimes think flash is a bit overated.
    If you dive with a shoal of fish, how many times do you see a flash of the light reflections in a whole school?
    It is one or two in a shoal that you will see when the turn etc.
    If you strip a normal fly, the predator fish needs to be 100% in the correct spot to see the normal flash we put in if it is a correct imitation of what we have tied and fish.
    A fly like a Flashy profile has lots of flash, that is a bit diffirent.

But I suppose flash can't do any harm.

But this is just my opinion.
    These materials do have more reflective qualities than genuine fibres, but will add depending on what I come up with as I go along. Thanks for opening another door for my fly tying needs.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    These materials do have more reflective qualities than genuine fibres, but will add depending on what I come up with as I go along. Thanks for opening another door for my fly tying needs.

Dave
    Korrie,

I have thin copper wire on cotton spools, would this be o.k. for spinning. By hand, not spinning on one of those fancy magaftas you guys build.

Gerrit, are you battling to spin this stuff. Think maybe my cotton was to thick. It did spin, but could see cotton in stages of turns. Not happy yet.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    Gerrit, are you battling to spin this stuff. Think maybe my cotton was to thick. It did spin, but could see cotton in stages of turns. Not happy yet.

Dave
    Dave I've only used SF blend thus far so I cannot comment on other materials yet.

I use a serrated blade to get the required shape of my minnow.Don't think spinning will be more beneficial than stacking IMO.It has it's place though.

G
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 09-10-08 at 11:21 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast