Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Brassie on a "D-string"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Just above Nkolo Spa there is a cement weir, you can walk on it. There is a deep pool with lots of structure (submerged rocks) and a tree line on the right. Gary Botha caught a largie casting from this weir into the deep water, and I got broken up by "something" that still haunts me. It's close to the festival, and definitely an option.

Mike
    Thanks Mike/.

How far above Nkolo? Is it the weir just above beat 6 (me thinks) or below the river hall or above the game farm (other side soutstoor?).

If you have gps co-ordinates could you pm them to me as Dave has managed to get us some 1-50000 maps of the area.

Thanking you in advance good Sir
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

It is the one at Beat 6. Beat 3 is also a nice largie beat if you know where to look - call me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    Thanks Mike/.

How far above Nkolo? Is it the weir just above beat 6 (me thinks) or below the river hall or above the game farm (other side soutstoor?).

If you have gps co-ordinates could you pm them to me as Dave has managed to get us some 1-50000 maps of the area.

Thanking you in advance good Sir
    Hi Wade

Geez, the last Nkolo festival I went to was like 4 years ago (or longer?)...so i can't recall precisely. But we walked from the top of the last beat at Nkolo to this weir. Dawie should know exactly where it is. Here's a pic of the weir, and Gary's fish. I didn't own a GPS at that stage, so didn't have means of recording that.
    I also know that just below the Dam wall (Bloemhof) as GGY and Herman (Flybum) left the festival (same year) they stopped there and fished there just below the wall, and HAMMERED fish! Also a very good option. Water was apparently brilliant.

PS: In the pic, you can see the structure to the left of us in the deeper water...the structure on the right (behind us in the deeper water) is even better. And right in front of Gary was a bunch of submerged rocks, where he hooked this fish. I see the date now, 2004.
    Last edited by Michael; 14-10-08 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gele View Post
    It is the one at Beat 6. Beat 3 is also a nice largie beat if you know where to look - call me.
    Thanks Dawie. Will call you as soon as we arrive in Christiaana, if the sun is up.

Hi Wade

Geez, the last Nkolo festival I went to was like 4 years ago (or longer?)...so i can't recall precisely. But we walked from the top of the last beat at Nkolo to this weir. Dawie should know exactly where it is. Here's a pic of the weir, and Gary's fish. I didn't own a GPS at that stage, so didn't have means of recording that.
    I also know that just below the Dam wall (Bloemhof) as GGY and Herman (Flybum) left the festival (same year) they stopped there and fished there just below the wall, and HAMMERED fish! Also a very good option. Water was apparently brilliant.

PS: In the pic, you can see the structure to the left of us in the deeper water...the structure on the right (behind us in the deeper water) is even better. And right in front of Gary was a bunch of submerged rocks, where he hooked this fish. I see the date now, 2004.
    Thanks Mike, the pic is from just above 6. Will def give it a big bash this year.

Bloemhof dam wall you say... Will remember

Oh, another PS...the reason we went to this weir was because the rocksnot was terrible in the riffles and runs! Hook a fish, and drag 5kg worth of algae with it. Hope you guys have less of this rocksnot this time. The beats in front of the resort are awesome.

Bloemhof dam wall you say... Will remember
    If you like, PM "Flybum" and ask him exactly where they stopped. I know it was below the dam wall somewhere. They just drove and stopped, not knowing what to expect...but it was apparently awesome fishing. Dawie may know where it is too, or an even better spot.

Quote Originally Posted by NCBass View Post
    in short: No boat, no fishing
    Isn't that the truth, and even IF you have a boat you're not guaranteed a fish either Taung is a beast of a different nature and you really need your logistics sorted to be able to fish it. The fact that it's not an easy fish, the problems with security and requiring a 4x4 just to be able to access in addition to how far out of Gauteng it is will ensure that dam stays well enough protected in the long term. I love it.

I was thinking of you on Sunday, we hammered those very shy bass that can be seen from the dam wall, biggest around 2Kgs smallest around 0.5Kgs.

Quote Originally Posted by NCBass View Post
    ...and you may just get your vehicle broken into by the locals - they don't steal anything, just do it to damage your property - sick b@stards!
    There is no maybe about it, and they steal everything that isn't bolted down, MJ had his camera, binocs, cellphone, wallet, etc etc etc etc stolen within 15 minutes of them going around the corner just to see what is to be seen. The locals sit on the top of the hill and watch your movements, then as you leave they signal their buddies who are already leopard crawling under the thorn trees to move in, smash & grab. On a previous trip they stole literally everything out of three of my friends bakkies, a trip prior to that they sneaked up and cut open the back side of a tent facing away from where the guys were so as to remain hdden. This after being shot at at close range to boot.

What the hell they do that for??? Or is it guys trying to protect their fishing grounds?
    Sh!thead 15/16yr old thieves with nother better to do than cause others harm.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Thanks Mike, the pic is from just above 6. Will def give it a big bash this year.
    The beat right in front of where the 'gathering area/hall' was at last year's trip also has Largies, just head on over to the far bank and cast your long line to them.

Just above the riffles at Sout Stoor you will find the LM in hip to chest deep channels that cross the entire area in water that is otherwise about hip deep (for me) If you work that you're sure to pick up at least one.

I've fished that water a number of times in the last few months, they're everywhere, you don't have to find a specific beat, just go looking for them.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    The beat right in front of where the 'gathering area/hall' was at last year's trip also has Largies, just head on over to the far bank and cast your long line to them.

Just above the riffles at Sout Stoor you will find the LM in hip to chest deep channels that cross the entire area in water that is otherwise about hip deep (for me) If you work that you're sure to pick up at least one.

I've fished that water a number of times in the last few months, they're everywhere, you don't have to find a specific beat, just go looking for them.
    Thanks for the info Bertu.

We are hoping to get into them early on before the numbers on the water scare them away.

All excited. Big time. Like going on a first date, only better because you know she wont say "no". or something like that

Actually, we stopped to fish at the wier in Christiana - not too bad fishing at the time.
    We hammered fish at the low-water bridge in Warrenton - I got 3 large mouth inthe channels there in a couple of hours, while fishing for SM - and plenty of SM too.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2