Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Filleting a fish

Default Filleting a fish

Hi Guys some one asked if i could do a SBS on fish filleting,unfortunatly on leave at the moment and catching fish is all i plan on doing
    Got this of the web,http://www.fishingcairns.com.au/page17-1.html the basics apply to any fish,with trout its best to cut then open and butterfly them, then cut the backbone with a pair of sciscorrs at the closes point to its head,cook the fish skin side down,when trout is cooked you will notice the backbone you cut has shrunk slightly and should be sticking out,pull gentle down the length of the fish and all the bones should come out all at once.Will try and do an SBS when i get back to work.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

HI Nick,

I dont have a problem filleting a trout in a way that it is deboned. My problem are those fine hair like bones in the back fillet, how do you remove them? while the fish is raw.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Default Filleting Fish

Nic, I put in the request. Thanks for the info but look forward to the SBS. Not necessary to do it Naked Chef style

Hi the best way to remove the fine bones is to use a pair of forceps and pull the out one buy one. The bones are very soft so when cooked if swallowed I know this is not nice but they can be digested.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Hi Guys some one asked if i could do a SBS on fish filleting,unfortunatly on leave at the moment and catching fish is all i plan on doing
    Got this of the web,http://www.fishingcairns.com.au/page17-1.html the basics apply to any fish,with trout its best to cut then open and butterfly them, then cut the backbone with a pair of sciscorrs at the closes point to its head,cook the fish skin side down,when trout is cooked you will notice the backbone you cut has shrunk slightly and should be sticking out,pull gentle down the length of the fish and all the bones should come out all at once.Will try and do an SBS when i get back to work.
    You back yet Nick
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

hey pops...did you get those fine bones sorted out? haha...

if not, i can show you sometime...i have some whole frozen trout. i usually smoke them whole, but next time i take one out i'll fillet it and take those little fine bones out if need be
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    HI Nick,

I dont have a problem filleting a trout in a way that it is deboned. My problem are those fine hair like bones in the back fillet, how do you remove them? while the fish is raw.

Dave
    From the Grammar Nazi

You bone a fish, chicken or leg of lamb.
    If you de-bone it, you are thus putting the bones back.

boned, bon·ing, bones

1. To remove the bones from.
    Regards
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherFish View Post
    From the Grammar Nazi

You bone a fish, chicken or leg of lamb.
    If you de-bone it, you are thus putting the bones back.

boned, bon·ing, bones

1. To remove the bones from.
    If you wish, you can bone a fish,chicken, lamb or any poor animal you wishto your hearts content, but I will still stick to de-boning the said fish.
    RE- bone= putting back the bones.

DAVE
    Last edited by poppernel; 03-01-12 at 04:22 PM.

So I never actually boned my girlfriend?
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    HI Nick,

Dave
    You can remove those with a tweezer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast