Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basslings on dry

Default Basslings on dry

Good day to all you gentlefolk,

On the weekend, I was repeatedly frustrated/evaded by little bass.
    In the past I have found little beetle imitations to be foolproof...
    However this weekend I tried everything, dries, streamers, poppers, even a dahlberg and waterdog or 6. Squat to show for my troubles(All cast on my 3wt) I even tried the dastardly bright orange clouser tactic, yet to no avail.

HOWEVER: I subsequently tied on a "big" (#10) green DDD, and cleaned up with 15 fish to show for my flailings. So Im not sure if this truly is the ultimate for free rising basslings (<1lb) but it is definitely a tactic to bear in mind!

Best of luck to all of you & if there are any other great tactics for slow days, please let me know!

Mark
    Last edited by markdej; 28-10-08 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Ninja Edit
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

HI Mark,

When bass surface feeding stops I go deep, go big (fly), go slow. Works most times, but even on a day this can fail.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Thanks Iwill keep this in mind for this weekend. Did you deaddrift them or twitch them?

Dead drift... However, if they hover below and seem hesitant, a twitch can either get them to commit or they will bugger off. I try to cast about 1m -1,5m from them and let it sit for a min, then twitch the fly to attract some interest. As soon as the little bass see the fly they tend to lash it!

Mark
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

Thanks - I love catching small bass on a dry or popper - they take the fly with such gusto that I get a jolt every time they grab it.

Strange how bass react. On a day, they attack a surface fly with verocity, the next they just roll over it and inhale it like a trout. Either way i'm happy.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart K View Post
    Thanks - I love catching small bass on a dry or popper - they take the fly with such gusto that I get a jolt every time they grab it.
    Wait until a SM smashes your #16 Klinkie, now that's a JOLT.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

A little fly I've worked on over the years which works quite well for those little bass in shallow water when they're being difficult and you want to have a bit of fun. Use a longish leader with light say 4lb Maxima (or fluoro if you have to!). Tie on about a size 12 or 10 hook. white marabou tail - not too long as they nip it. Coupla bits of pearl crystal flash either side. Body made using same wound white marabou, ribbed with same crystal flash. build uo fl orange head (using fluo orange tying thread throughout). Pearl plastic bead as head. This fly is just slightly faster than neutral density. Fish it static with the ofdd twitch as the other guys mention. You can let it sink deeper and it's fairly visible at depth so when the 'lights go out' - i.e. you suddenly no longer see the white body, you know a fish has taken. When fry are around and fish are attacking them, this also has it's uses fished in fry-movement twitches of also static like a stunned fry

Not infallible, but it has worked for me many, many times when most else fails
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Greased-up, this also works well fished dry as a dead or crippled fry..
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Another very good surface fly is Dean Riphaegen's floating dragon. Tied big or bulky.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast