Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Crease Fly

Stupid question Is this fly fished on the surface? The foam will keep it on top? Please help.
    "Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing" - Einstein

Hi Frik

As far as i understand it is . I have never fished yet as i was only introduced to them this past weekend . Another guy fished his crease fly and picked up 2 shad and a nice size parrot fish . Maybe Deewy can give more info on fly action ?

Cheers

Adrian
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

Yes from deewy's comment I get it that the idea of the fly is that it should float. Is there anything in the construction that keeps it upright except for the point of the hook? I would imagine the fly will just go lie on it's side.

Hey guys

It is a topwater fly and very efective on some fish, I know the guys in the states use them often, I am not so fond of them for 2 reasons, they are a Bi@atch to cast, the bigger ones that is, and if they are unbalanced they spin your leader and just flop on their sides, no use unless you are fishing to a baitball being smashed, then this could immatate a wounded fish very well.

The hook point keels the fly, causing it to swim upright. If you get them to swim upright they can be deadly as the leave and awsome bubble trail behind it, and they make more a slurping noise rather than a popping noise.

To be honest I will stick to a flipper, MUCH easier to tie, less haslles, cast easier and catches the same if not more fish.

Hope I could help.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Hi Deevy,

Please tell me more about softhead by Loons?The info I have is a bit dodgy.

Is it similar to Sally's or what?

G

Its a rubber bassed product, it is very sticky in the bottle and you just put the bottle in warm water and it gets runny, when dry it goes like plastic, I am busy making some mullet flies and using that in the place of silicone. Very nice product. It just give a more durable finish to certain flies.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Thank you for the reply Deewy. It makes a lot more sense. I'll stick to a flipper.

Hi guys

Dewald, on the thing about a surface fly spinning... Ive got a white foam popper that's by now a peace of foam just about bitten in half by shad with probably 5 strands of bucktail left. My point is that it has caught it's fair share of shad and leeries. Ive had succes with it while upright swimming poppers was ignored. they were identical flies but the spinning one got the takes.

Obviously its a nightmare to fish due to all the line twists and junk that happens.

Have you guys found that a spinning surface fly doesn't produce?

Cheers
    Philip
    Vow not to stop until i've got a kingfish, but then gentlemen... it has just begun...

A round foam popper can be fished when its spinning, not that I like it but because of the profile it can be up side down on its side how ever you like it, but with a crease fly its flat, from the from so if it spins it doesnt resemble anything out there. Just my 2c

I will stick with the flipper.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Gogga Banned User

Hmmm

A couple of creasies I tied to use in The med - worked brilliantly for shad and Leeries.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast