Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Fly Fishing and Birding

One of the spots most of us fish on the vaal has had a bredding pair of shelducks for the last three years. Mot people mistake them for egyptian geese at first glance but they're pretty cool - they're our only duck species which nests underground!

Another really good one is a pair of half collared kingfishers that breed out near the trout dams at Waterval Boven.

Also see loads of other interesting water birds like night herons, crakes, jacana's etc which also make my day when we're out on the water.
    Check your knots!

Booger Rose Banned User

My latest nice sighting was two week back at the Goukamma river near Knysna. Was lucky enough to spot the Visvalk (Don't know the english) and watch it play around for about five minutes. Actually forgot to fish for that time.

I also have 'n bygeloof that while driving to do a bit of R&S and I spot a crow on the way I can just as well turn back and not fish - but when I spot a nice falcon or eagle it's a go and the fish will bite.

Small birds that can not be ID get the name of KBV - klein bruin voëltjie.

you have got me thinking of birds seen and watched while on angling/hunting trips .... those that come to mind offhand are

Fish Eagle
    Osprey
    Martial Eagle
    Crowned Eagle
    Black Eagle
    Peregrine Falcon (saw her taking a yellowbill in mid flight!)
    Purple Gallinules

... and of course thousands of other feathered beasts including - ducks (shoveller, black, both species of teal, mallards, yellowbill, shelduck), quail (coturnix coturnix), many francolin species, crowned and helmeted guinea fowl, namaqua sandgrouse, ramarin pigeon, various louries, geese (egyptian, spurwing), etc etc etc

Thanks for the thread Jules - it has brought back some great memories for me!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    My latest nice sighting was two week back at the Goukamma river near Knysna. Was lucky enough to spot the Visvalk (Don't know the english) and watch it play around for about five minutes. Actually forgot to fish for that time.

I also have 'n bygeloof that while driving to do a bit of R&S and I spot a crow on the way I can just as well turn back and not fish - but when I spot a nice falcon or eagle it's a go and the fish will bite.

Small birds that can not be ID get the name of KBV - klein bruin voëltjie.
    You and you crows/raptors sounds like me and apples. Picked that up from a mate in KZN and I recon its pretty true - you bring an apple on a fishing trip and you arent going to catch

A visvalk is an osprey if I remember correctly?
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    I thought this could be an interesting thread as everytime I go out fishing I enjoy checking out the birdlife.

I have been really spoilt living in the lowveld and have had the pleasure of spotting some rare or shy birdlife whilst fishing
    My best was a Narina Trogon while fishing an estuary in the Transkei.
    Looked up the early morning and there it was sunning itself in full view.
    Until then I had thought the bird a myth.

Nowdays I dont actively bird, but do so while fishing.
    Started a new list, "birds without bins"
    Regards
    Craig

Geepers

I know in Magoebaskloof, you will see Narina Trogon, I still have to check that one...

Cools spots for me:

1) African Finfoot
    2) Crowned Eagle (once in the Wild)
    3) Lapped Faced Vulture
    4) Black Eagle
    5) Martial Eagle
    6) Ground Hornbill
    7) Black Eagret using his wings to as "Polaroids" he he he
    8) Green Heron using a feather as a lure..awesome
    9) Of course plenty close encounters with fish eagles...
    10) Little Bee-eater cathing insects and returning to the same purch everytime
    11) Mayers Parrot

Eish, that is off the top of my head...plenty more....I still want to see Pel's maybe this December break..
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Booger Rose Banned User

Just thought about one of my most memorable moments of birding and fishing. Fishing the Okovango next to the mudsides where the "Byevreters" nests. These colourful birds was flying all over and it was a real pleasure just to watch them while trying to get a tiger or nembwe on the line.

Sorry about the Afrikaans names, but I grew up birding and realy don't know the English names. Afrikaans is so much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    You sure are fortunate to have such a variety of game on your doorstep Dave, I'm envious!
    We are, just lucky a electrical fence seperated us from the rhino's,but the kudus were wild, they stood for long enabling pics to be taken.This means that the farmer does not shoot them, normally when a bakkie stops they take flight in the case where hunting takes place.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    you have got me thinking of birds seen and watched while on angling/hunting trips .... those that come to mind offhand are

Fish Eagle
    Osprey
    Martial Eagle
    Crowned Eagle
    Black Eagle
    Peregrine Falcon (saw her taking a yellowbill in mid flight!)
    Purple Gallinules

... and of course thousands of other feathered beasts including - ducks (shoveller, black, both species of teal, mallards, yellowbill, shelduck), quail (coturnix coturnix), many francolin species, crowned and helmeted guinea fowl, namaqua sandgrouse, ramarin pigeon, various louries, geese (egyptian, spurwing), etc etc etc

Thanks for the thread Jules - it has brought back some great memories for me!

I thought it would be cool as you guys can spot species we do not hav, vice versa..
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Booger Rose Banned User

Just thought about something I saw this weekend while the other guys were playing gholf and I drove the karretjie (gonna iritate you again with Afrikaans names)

A Jagarend landed on one of the greens and then a small Mikstert Byevangertjie came and chase this big guy away. Was so funny to see this litle bird chasing the huge eagle around until the eagle got fed-up and flew away. None of the gholfers got an eagle!

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast