Thread: Tying options using Larva Lace ?

Unhappy Tying options using Larva Lace ?

Howzit,

Bought two packets of Larva Lace in November and quite frankly, I'm bored as hell with it.

It's too big to rib small Nymphs with, goes too flat when tying caddis and generally speaking aside from weaving with it I havn't found many uses for it as there are better materials to rib flies with, stretchy nymph rib in small being an example.

Oh yeah, Last night I found a new use for it. The connecting "stalk" between two yellow/orange glass beads, melted at the tips and supplemented with superglue. Makes for nice glowing yellow eyes with a black iris on some buggers I tied and think it should be usable on damselfly nymphs as well as dragonfly nymphs

I would like to know what you guys are tying using Larva Lace, I'm looking for some ideas and or things to experiment with.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Could you possibly use it for Blackfly Larvae immitations?

Red face Larva lace

Ya retail therapy in the Flyshop can become very expensive!

While back (jy was nog 'n tjokker) Murray published and article on tying extended bodies for damsels. Now that can work for other nymphs as well.

How about threading some nylon into the tube, being round it can create the round segments. Even lead wire???

By overlapping withe lace you get a decent effect. There are tyers using a flat segment - Steve's ammonite nymph being one.

Obviously getting nervous for Saturday. Feverishly tying up some never heard of magic pattern to catch the biggest/only/most fish

Bring it on

Luister biets, ek gaan jou smoke Saterdag. Al die buggers se punte is skerp gemaak !

Both my caddis and Nymph boxes are full, so I am tying up some buggers. Made a marabou bugger last night, marabou is fantastic for movement if you don't want to use/can't use some bunny. I plopped it into the tank with my male vleikurper and he shat himself
    Last edited by Scythe; 17-01-07 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Could you possibly use it for Blackfly Larvae immitations?
    Yeah I had thought about that, but it's too blerrie fat I think (I've got the medium size ... I think) I like the disco midge, it works.

what if you thread it on the hook (like a plastic bass worm) and then use black thread to segment it? It is hollow isn't it? If not then forget I said anything.

Yip, was trying that, still trying to figure out how I will thread it first then tie in the ribbing ... or wait ... I should probably tie in the ribbing first then thread the tubing over the hook and the ribbing.

Geelkoors' suggestion about filling it with lead also makes it stand out more circular like. (the benefits of having my tying desk next to my work desk)