Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Queenfish on fly????

Default Queenfish on fly????

Anyone caught queens on fly. Been fishing some breakwaters in Dubai and there are lots of queens about. Just wondering if anyone could suggest some killer flies to use, because the refusals are getting a bit irritating now.....

Thanks

Matt

I've got a video of Steve Starling catching lots of Queens in Auz, will watch it tonight and see it I can make out what flies they are using, will get back to you tonight... but they should take Deceivers and any other bait fish pattern...

Matt,

I've done quite well on Queenies and in my experience, they can be pretty picky. If you have the right fly, they are seriously aggressive and fly-friendly. If not, they wont even chase.

The killer flies in the places where I have caught them are yellow over white and chartreuse over white clousers. Navy Blue over white clousers are almost always refused.

White poppers and flippers are never ignored, but hook-ups are rare. They attack so aggressively and quickly that the fly gets catapulted out of the water by the bow-wave ahead of the fish. I chummed up a few nice Queenies for my fishing partner in this way on the last trip. He just calmly cast a clouser in the direction of the flipper and was immediately tight!

Bast%@#d!

Another issue is size of fly. The right colour but the wrong size will get a reaction but a take from a bigger fish is unlikely.

The key is to find out what the most common local baitfish is and then to tie some flies with key characteristics of the baitfish.

If you get it right, you will fall in love with those things. They must be one of the best fish to catch on fly. Fast, aggressive and acrobatic.

Please share your experiences if you try my suggestions. I like to know if they hold true in your area.

Hi Matt,

What luck you have to target these fish. Mike put me on the spot in Aus and from there it was queen fish heaven. We found that a slow strip with a clouser - yellow or chartreuse blended with white worked well. For size, 1/0 was the thing even with the big ones. Pushing tides worked the best. If you hook up hold on aerobics te boot

O sorry have to add this – I love Queen Fish ---

Thanks guys

Will give it a bash tomorrow and see what happens.

Cheers for all the advice.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by juan View Post
    o sorry have to add this – i love queen fish ---
    wham at it again with the queens , as usual!

juan,the smile says it all....

good luck beefy.....let us know how it goes
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

All white clousers & deceivers have worked for me. Vary your stripping speeds. Often ultra-fast is what they want.

howdy, long time no post but I'm still here

queenies are hungry most of the time and from my experiences they react well to a fast stripped fly. if you can sight cast to them, even better

they are suckers for surface flies and at times here in Oz, we get them in plague proportions

keep us posted, good luck

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast