Thread: A taste of the fishing in NZ

Default A taste of the fishing in NZ

Thought I'd tease all of you guys that are keen on visiting NZ soon with a pic or 2.

Last edited by dizzy; 06-01-09 at 02:59 AM.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Nice fish Daryl. Hopefully the weather settles soon so we can get some sight fishing done.
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

hate you....

HI Dizzy,

My boet stays in Howick, Auckland in N.Z., so I scheme I should drop in to visit sometime for 2-3 weeks. Great pics.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Looks amazing Daryl. Nice size fish that. You guys seetling in ok there?
    Cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Hi Dizzy,
    Nice fish.

I can't wait will be in NZ from 15 Dec for 5 weeks. Traveling by camper van.

Cheers,

Jono
    "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."

Hi Dizzy,
    I will spend a few days in Auckland as my brother stays in Howick;
    but plan on covering most of the North and South islands.

Will definitely give you a call when in Wellington, PM me your contact details.

I will also get in touch with Kevin when in Waikato already have his number.

Cheers,
    Jono
    "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."

Lovely fish Daryl, 39 days and counting
    Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery element are made for wise men to contemplate, and for fools to pass by without consideration - Izaak Walton

Ok, so my first intro to fishing for browns in NZ happened yesterday afternoon. Awesome setting about 30 minutes outside Wellington.

Holy mother of dog - these fish are LARGE !!! Take the monster of Donkergat and multiply by at least 2 - and this was a brown

Battled casting in very blustery conditions, managed to hook one but gave it a bit too much slack and it came off after a couple of seconds. Also scared off at least two other large fish. Very different take to the rainbows I am used to, much more subtle and slower.

Thanks to Daryl for a fun afternoon
    Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery element are made for wise men to contemplate, and for fools to pass by without consideration - Izaak Walton

Fished a remote trib of the Waikato with Kevin on Friday. Awesome stretch of river, and great scenery.

Fishing was tough, seems the NZ trout don't want to play with me Long-line released a mid-sized rainbow, but the browns don't seem to have migrated up that far yet.

Also got lots of practise in opening MANY farm gates, very different latch mechanisms to gates back in SA

Thanks again for fun day and generous loan of tackle.