Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Coating knots

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    I think here that it's about keeping the knot as small as possible? The tube you are talking about Wiets, might be the one for the braided loop at the end of the fly line?
    Howzit Rols

I think the original question was simply about covering knots and not the knot size. The heat shrink tubing I'm talking about is similar what the marine electrician used on the yacht to protect electrical connections. You slip the sleeve over the joint, apply hot air from a heat gun and the sleeve rapidly shrinks in diameter - compressing everything within the sleeve. The end result is a beautiful smooth connection. These sleeves are available in different diameters, wall thicknesses and there are lots of colours. I will be buying some of the stuff soon.

im currently experimenting with heatshrink to cover thread wraps to form loops at the backing end of fly lines

ill let you know

ps : heat shrink is effective instead of a nail knot in holding braided loops on flyline

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Quote Originally Posted by andrewbuch View Post
    Thats good news.. I didnt know it would last that long. At my local shop its R96 which is a bit excessive for such a small tube. but if its gona last so long then its worth it.. does it work well??
    That sounds a bit over the top. I'm sure I've seen it locally for around R40-R50 a tube. I'll look when I pop in at my local shop on Saturday.

NEEDLE knot (NOT "NAIL" knot) .. then sometimes coat it with any liquid adhesive/varnish I have around ... just enough to get the adhesive to run into the windings, not make a big lump, but if you tie the knot neatly, with not too many windings, it is unnecessary.

I hate "loops" anywhere on my lines, and have also had those heat shrink tubes pull out.
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

UV KNOT SENSE

I paid around R50 and Idont see this tube getting emptier in the next two years - really it well worth the dosh !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2