Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Teazing

I think the difference is that firstly these fish are wild and fish in the stillwaters are stockies.
    Agreed and I am not against it. Just not sure if you call this fly fishing. Very much a grey area. I suppose each to his own. As long as you have fun!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vanderw View Post
    Agreed and I am not against it. Just not sure if you call this fly fishing. Very much a grey area. I suppose each to his own. As long as you have fun!!!
    Ya i agree with you, its a bit of a grey area for me to!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Quote Originally Posted by vanderw View Post
    HI GUYS,

Deewy was refering to gamefish, and no!!this on stillwaters is'nt on.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

My R0.02 worth.
    Teasing game fish and then casting at them is great if all you want is "grip and grins" to show your buddies, but imagine the thrill of improving your skill to a point where you can make the impossible cast or putting in the hard hours to learn the water and getting rewarded for your efforts.
    To me that is the essence of why I cast a fly. Its not just about the catching. There are loads of people who have paid R100k to get to the Sey and have had fish teased in by their guides and made the 30ft cast and fought the 100cm GT on a flat with no escape route and have a pic to brag about, but in my book, there is no comparison between that and a big GT caught casting off the bricks in wild seas off a point in Mozambique on a pushing tide...I know which I enjoy more. One is flyfishing, the other is catching a fish on a flyrod...
    "Haauw, in the mouth"

I aint a fundi on gamefish but from what I understand the chances of ever getting to cast at a Marlin or sailfish on fly is next to impossible?

So in essence is there any other way to get them on fly without luring them with a plug. . .

I know i am contradicting myself here but like i said i aint 100% sure how i feel about this one, grey matter
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Quote Originally Posted by deewy View Post

3) what spinning outfit did / are you using.

I would think something in the 10-11' range as you need to cast a big plug for big fish and should they not want to eat the fly, just put a hook on and catch him on the plug.
    Hi Dewald,

Have a look at the Shimano Curado reels and Shimano 7ft 15 - 30lb extra fast taper rods. Perfect for throwing plugs all day and light enough to stick in your backpack. I went on a guided trip a couple of years ago with James Warne and Graham Field and this is the setup that Graham had - worked very well.

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

any one who thinks its as Simple as throwing a fly at a lit up fish and on dad is WAY mistaken!!
    the fly needs to swim and look like the teaser that the fish followed in or he will simply ignore it
    also depending on the size of the fish its damn difficult to cast when your heart is in your mouth and the boat has just been slammed into neutral and there is a hot bill fish looking for something to eat 11 million people shouting instructions to you and your hands don't work properly you flawless casting goes for a ball the fly tangles on any and every obstruction you standing on the line you finally get the fly into the water and the fish swims up to it and pushes the fly out the way and swims nearer to the boat looking for that belly flash teaser he just saw

Try it before you slate it

I seriously would rather see a lit up fish in the spread and throw a fly at it and not get a hook up

than troll along and hook 10 fish 10 times the size that i didn't see

Back to the original thread

Dewwy I use a 2.8 m rod and a coffee grinder to throw plugs as teasers
    I find cup face poppers/bloopers/birds to be better than the chisel plugs for "calling fish" because they float and can be "popped" and left and then "popped" again or retrived at any speed
    where the chisel type plugs sink as soon as you stop retriving them fast enough and its also practicaly impossible to retrive a fly at that speed
    so we had lots of chases of the chisel plug but few "conversions" to the fly

I have had the best results in a team of three one with the fly rod one with the Spinning and some one higher who can see into the water

Another use for a teaser is to see if there are any fish around

I use a small hookless chisel at the breede to see if there are any leeries about as it covers way more water and is easier to throw than a fly
    once you get a chase you can switch to fly instead of flogging the water with a 3cm flipper

I stood next to greg (noweeds) at the strand and he was throwing a Chisel (with hook 100 m +) into a pumping wind and the leeries could not leave that thing alone he got 6 to my 1 but Im sure that the one I got was pulled close enuff for me to get him to eat a flipper within 10 m of us (as far as i could cast into the wind ) with out a plug in that situation it would have been a big blank

/d
    Last edited by damage; 11-11-08 at 02:23 PM.
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Quote Originally Posted by damage View Post
    any one who thinks its as Simple as throwing a fly at a lit up fish and on dad is WAY mistaken!!
    the fly needs to swim and look like the teaser that the fish followed in or he will simply ignore it
    also depending on the size of the fish its damn difficult to cast when your heart is in your mouth and the boat has just been slammed into neutral and there is a hot bill fish looking for something to eat 11 million people shouting instructions to you and your hands don't work properly you flawless casting goes for a ball the fly tangles on any and every obstruction you standing on the line you finally get the fly into the water and the fish swims up to it and pushes the fly out the way and swims nearer to the boat looking for that belly flash teaser he just saw

Try it before you slate it

I seriously would rather see a lit up fish in the spread and throw a fly at it and not get a hook up

than troll along and hook 10 fish 10 times the size that i didn't see

Back to the original thread

/d
    I was under the impression once you got the fish to the boat, you simply throw the fly at it and you on!

Sorry obviously i am a bit off mark here, didnt mean to offend anyone

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    My R0.02 worth.
    Teasing game fish and then casting at them is great if all you want is "grip and grins" to show your buddies, but imagine the thrill of improving your skill to a point where you can make the impossible cast or putting in the hard hours to learn the water and getting rewarded for your efforts.
    To me that is the essence of why I cast a fly. Its not just about the catching. There are loads of people who have paid R100k to get to the Sey and have had fish teased in by their guides and made the 30ft cast and fought the 100cm GT on a flat with no escape route and have a pic to brag about, but in my book, there is no comparison between that and a big GT caught casting off the bricks in wild seas off a point in Mozambique on a pushing tide...I know which I enjoy more. One is flyfishing, the other is catching a fish on a flyrod...
    I fully agree. If you see pics of guys with sailfish or marlin and a fly rod in hand, it's a bit dissapointing knowing all they basically did was drop the fly into an already excited fish...and then the only REAL accomplishment was fighting it on a fly rod and reel, with fly line. There was no challenge in reading the water, finding the fish, making a long crucial cast, and fooling the fish into eating. That to me is fly fishing...fly fishing is not simply casting a fly with ta fly rod and fly line...it's the whole experience. Teasing a fish up and getting it excited enough to eat the next thing that drops onto the water close to it, is not (imho).

I would do it...why not? It's still fishing. But, I would not say "I purely fly fished for this fish". Because I have not.
    Must be great fun though! But just not fly fishing in every sense of the word.

Quote Originally Posted by Loop View Post
    I fully agree. If you see pics of guys with sailfish or marlin and a fly rod in hand, it's a bit dissapointing knowing all they basically did was drop the fly into an already excited fish...and then the only REAL accomplishment was fighting it on a fly rod and reel, with fly line. There was no challenge in reading the water, finding the fish, making a long crucial cast, and fooling the fish into eating. That to me is fly fishing...fly fishing is not simply casting a fly with ta fly rod and fly line...it's the whole experience. .
    oh ya i forgot you dont need to look for billfish they all just hang out at location X waiting for you to arrive and hook them !!

you don't need to know there patterns, what they eating the topography of the water you will be fishing Dropoffs ,currents,temperature ,design the fly build the leaders ,make the cast

They come with tags on them you just order what you want to catch before you leave the beach

Last trip we dragged the boat 3000kms drove 7000kms burnt 800 liters of Gas at sea over 6 days and saw 1 fish !

sounds like shooting fish in a barrel to me !!!!

again all I ask is try before you slate !!!!!

Umhlangarox no offense taken !!!

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast