Thread: Saltwater flies

OptimisticFlyer Banned User

Default Saltwater flies

Hi,

I am still very new to the saltwater scene. And beside clouser havent done much saltwater tying. So any comments or advice would be much appreciated. sorry for the low quality, camera in my phone.

Thanx,

Charl

Charl doesnt look to bad and will probly catch you a fish...maybe try tapering the tail abit better.looks abit wide behind the head....ive never tied these patterns or fished them but i would imagine the hook gape might be abit narrow aswell.other than that not to shabby
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Welcome to some of the most fun you can have whuile fishing and tying !

Right, my comments.

Your tail is too long shorten it and adjust the taper to fit the new length

Check your taper, basically you want to try to imitate the small baitfish you see around, which means more of an elongated teardrop shape, round-ish in the front, tappering to a sharper tip at the back.

Good use of the big eyes, eyes are a major trigger point.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

OptimisticFlyer Banned User

thanx for the great advice.

Did some trimming and a new one, hopefully improved.

Also wanting to get the oukies wet at blakes the weekend, cant wait!

Charl

ps, which brings to mind another question, any specific colours for saltwater?

Hi Charl

Keep it white.. always a 'family' favourite at Blakes... olive&white/ chartruse&white/ black or grey&white/ red&white combinations worked as well in the past at Blakes..don't know if its just me but I found that the warm water Natal flies are not as efective.... Let me know when you'll be there...might like to join if you don't mind.

Regards
    Juan

Quote Originally Posted by OptimisticFlyer View Post
    thanx for the great advice.
    Second one from the top is your best effort yet, good taper on that one, the other two still look more like white tadpoles than white fish ... know what I mean ?

General rule for SW:

Colder water = colder colours = white, white pink, white grey, white olive, white off white, etc.
    Warmer water = warmer colours = white, white pink, white orange, white red, white yellow, white chartreuse, white olive etc.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Scythe

With regards to warer temp, is it the clear difference between Mosambique and Cape water or are we talking winter to summer water

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Second one from the top is your best effort yet, good taper on that one, the other two still look more like white tadpoles than white fish ... know what I mean ?

General rule for SW:

Colder water = colder colours = white, white pink, white grey, white olive, white off white, etc.
    Warmer water = warmer colours = white, white pink, white orange, white red, white yellow, white chartreuse, white olive etc.
    So, plain white, white pink and white olive are your alround colours to go to.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.