Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: BLOKE FLy Rods

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Do you know if they do lighter blanks? I'm lookin to build a 8' 2wt in 4 piece. I've just been quoted $ 520 from AA for a ZXL blank plus fittings. Add 14% VAT on this side, multiply by 10 and we're looking at almost R 6000! Fark.
    Neil, another option for you could be CTS. Absolutely fantastic blanks, made in New Zealand, and extremely well rated by custom builders worldwide. I have fished them side-by-side with the name rods from well-known international brands, and the CTS rods are at least as good. They have endless options and will even customise a blank to your specification.

I think that their Maxim range would suit your requirements nicely. The blank will cost you about NZ$200 plus freight (FX rate is about 5.50 at the moment)
    http://www.ctsfishing.com/index.htm
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Thanks Kevin, I have e-mailed them. Also looking at Gatti blanks, made in Italy. Claimed to be the best blank in the world! (If you believe their website)

For those of you who think I am always running down Americans or USA sourced rods, perhaps I have given the wrong impression.

Many American rods are very good indeed. The only thing I have against them is the UK price which is astronomical.

I do in fact own a Sage rod, a XP 9 1/2 foot 6 weight which actually throws a 7 weight line (Snowbee XS) better than a 6. That alone tells you a story about Sage's line ratings.

Americans over the years have done a great deal to eliminate the mystique of fly fishing and bring it within the reach of the ordinary man and that is good. However they have also created an elite, who go around with Sage fly rods, $400 reels etc.

"3,000 Bucks on the Hoof", as one American angling writer put it.

It seems that fly fishing is following the type of hype being put out in the sport of golf, and by crikey you should read the utter bullshit that is spoken of in that industry.

It reminds me of the famous golfer Lee Trevino who was giving a golfing talk to a group of young aspirant yuppy type executives.

"So what is the secret of a good golf shot?" he asked the group.

"The grip" said one of them.

So Trevino took an old decrepit club in ONE hand and hit a ball 250 yards dead straight.

Trevino repeated the question

"The latest set of High Tech Clubs"

Trevino passed around the ancient club he had just used for the shot/

Trevino again repeated the question

"The Stance" shouts one of the yuppies.

Trevino stands on one leg and belts the ball 250 meters.

After asking for the secret several more times, Trevino finally tells the group what it was.

I am sure those of you who play golf do too.

Gatti Blanks made in Italy??

They are very good blanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Clay View Post
    Gatti Blanks made in Italy??

They are very good blanks.
    Yes agreed, first class blanks, but if I'm not mistaken, don't come any lighter than 5 wt. Please corrct me if I'm wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Yes agreed, first class blanks, but if I'm not mistaken, don't come any lighter than 5 wt. Please corrct me if I'm wrong
    Incorrect. I built a Gatti FRC 8'0 3wt last year as my river rod. Both Neil and Mike have tried it. What did you guys think honestly? I think it's a sweet rod, ruined only by the crappy silkscreened logo on the blank. If they can't silkscreen properly, they should just leave it off.

Chaps

I received an e-mail from CTS with an attached pdf catalogue. Very interesting. Prices are good (as Kevin stated) but, for the new breed of Cape stream fishermen (who struggle to control drag due to lip currents and "high stick" all the time or who practice dubious tactics such as czech nymphing), they make a 10' 3 wt and even 11' 3 wt.

For the rest of us mortals they certainly have a comprehensive range of trout rod blanks - they even do a 0wt, the only company besides Sage that do this AFAIK.

Hey Neil,

Would you mind forwarding me the catalogue?

Cheers,
    Shaun

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Incorrect. I built a Gatti FRC 8'0 3wt last year as my river rod. Both Neil and Mike have tried it. What did you guys think honestly? I think it's a sweet rod, ruined only by the crappy silkscreened logo on the blank. If they can't silkscreen properly, they should just leave it off.
    Me? I never tried your rod. You're confusing me with someone else

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Hey Neil,

Would you mind forwarding me the catalogue?

Cheers,
    Shaun
    On its way via e-mail

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast