Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Groot River

Talking Groot River

Howzit guys!
    I'm praying somebody could tell me whether I'm wasting my time planning a trip to the Groot River at Mount Ceder at the beginning of May this year?
    Are water levels favourable for hunting smallmouth bass at that time? Total smallmouth nut here, if you're wondering why I'm wondering about the bass instead of the yellows. Not that I'd complain if I had the honour of latching onto one! Also, I'm still trying to teach my wife the way of the fly (like I'm the expert! oh, dear..) so would like to know if she'd be allowed to fish a spinning rod there? Please don't shoot me for asking such a question. All advice would be greatly appreciated.. Tight lines!..

Having travelled a lot in that area over the years, all I can say is, I have never seen the Groot dry up, although I have seen it looking pretty thin at times. Even so, deeper holding pools can be found if you head on upstream on foot to the first gorges. These will have concentrated populations of fish in them. Of course your swambo can spin. She can fish with worms aswell if she prefers, nobody is going to stop her.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Hi LeRoy,

I can highly recommend Mount Ceder as a fishing venue. We did a trip there last year November, although this trip coincided with a harsh cold front we still caught some fish. A float tube is the way to go, since the banks are overgrown for most part. May should be good, with the fish feeding before winter. Also see the article on the main site under article archive.

Thisisreally a stunning venue in beautiful surroundings. The water offer lots of structure in the form of overhangs, lilies and weed beds.

Cheers,

Philip

Talking

Thanks so much, Chris! Wouldn't allow the swambo to fish a worm if the bass wore "we only eat worms" shirts and laughed in our faces. Thanks again, maybe we'll catch you on the river.. tight lines!

You bassing guys better get there before the catfish do
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Talking

Shot for all the advice guys! And thanks for the welcome. Will definately report back, and hope to avoid the whiskers. Are there any preferred fly patterns for the area? And for size fish, deep or shallow? Saving hard for them float choobs..

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    ... and hope to avoid the whiskers
    don't avoid them! TARGET THEM!
    the patient mental...

Alright, I might just do that. Do the cats get big over there? Never even knew you got them there! Flies for catfish?

Shot for all the advice guys! And thanks for the welcome. Will definately report back, and hope to avoid the whiskers. Are there any preferred fly patterns for the area? And for size fish, deep or shallow? Saving hard for them float choobs..
    I have had a lot of success with surface poppers.........best way to take a bass imho

Default Expert

Howzit guys!
    Also, I'm still trying to teach my wife the way of the fly (like I'm the expert! oh, dear..) so would like to know if she'd be allowed to fish a spinning rod there? Please don't shoot me for asking such a question. All advice would be greatly appreciated.. Tight lines!..
    Leroy,

1stly all men are experts when it comes to Field Sports, we are after all the hunter. So yes we know more than women.

2ndly reference to "Spinning Tackle" on a Fly only site. Well I'm not MR PC but you don't go wearing your sheets to a Southern Gospel Revival Church in down town Alabama??? Because it's bass I will let you off the hook.....I don't like bass, unless lightly smoked with home made bread and unwooded Chardonnay.

I know absolutely nothing about the venue, sorry.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast