Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PLease help me identify this bugger

Default PLease help me identify this bugger

I caught this pike like looking thingy in Colorado a while back and i still dont know what it is... It took a black wooly bugger and was caught in Turqoise Lake, CO... It has a really wierd thing at the bottom of its mouth as you can see. almost like a growth... gave a great fight!!

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another pic

Similar to a brook trout

ja, it is. I really cant explain that thing protruding from the mouth... it does look a lot like a brookie, but it didnt have the yellow and purply spots on the side...

?
    Chris

Yup I reckon a brookie - I think in those areas apart from regular browns, 'bows and brookies you often get Lake or Mackinaw 'trout' but they look a lot different to your fish - they have really pointy snouts almost like our yellows but even more pointy. Often in lakes a certain amount of 'in-breeding' means you can get certain strains of fish that look slightly different from those in other lakes, so the fact your fish did or didn't have certain colours doesn't mean it's not a brookie. Unfortunately the pic (or my eyesight more likely..) means I couldn't get a better look at the fish. Maybe Clarias or others can shed furthe rlight?

What that growth is I havn't a clue. Obviously he didn't eat his Weetbix when he was a youth!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

very interesting! Did it have a adipose fin?
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

interesting. I think it might have been a brookie...looking back now...Had big teeth!!

What is an adipose fin Chris?? forgive me for asking haha!

Another pic. The sun was just wrong and I wanted to get it back to the water asap. point and shoot... : ( I have mended my ways slightly. THat was my first fish in Colorado.

My failing eyes still can't see more than thinking it is a brookie. The adipose fin Chris S mentions is the gristly little appendage type fin about half way on the top of the body behind the dorsal fin and before the tail. It is usually meant to signify a fish is a member of the Salmonids as typified by trout, salmon, char and grayling. My guess Chris mentioned this to cross-check the fish was a member of this wonderful family.The brookie is obviously a member.
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Ok cool! learnt another new thing today! So all trout have that fin?? thats really intersting. murphy's law...i took the picture so that you just cant see the fin... I think it was a brookie then.

Thanks guys!
    Chris

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast