Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PLease help me identify this bugger

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    Whoo hooo red face for me
    as long as it is not a red pieletjie!!!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Quote Originally Posted by turando101 View Post
    appendage=aanhangsel
    Anatomy of fish = http://badmanstropicalfish.com/anatomy.html
    Thanks for the link Karel

This looks more like a Bull Trout or perhaps a Lake trout than a Brook trout.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

To be honest I sincerely can't see it well enough, but knowing their lake trout I recall they had far more streamlined heads. The fact it's mentioned this fish had big teeth makes me think it may possibly not have been a brookie or straight brookie, but one of those nasty localised hybrids that can eat a man at fifty paces!

Any chance of a bigger pic, Wooly - you can e-mail me if you wish? Pls PM me if you can do? Thanks!

(Shades of me and Nympho on his Vaal findings..)
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

hey Wooly Bugger, this fish looks to me like a Lake Trout hey but I am by no means an expert. The shape and head looks right, as well as the colour pattern. As it grows older and larger, it may develop the more pointy snout that Chris is talking about. I may be wrong too, but I doubt that it is a brown or brook.

There are also two forms of Lake Trout in lakes, a smaller schooling form that is a pelagic planktivore ( open water plankton eater) and a larger solitary form.

Adipose fins are found in a couple of families namely the Salmonids (trout etc.), Characins (Tigerfish, African Pike, Piranhas etc.), catfishes and whatever family the Chessa and Nkupe is in (Cyprinodontiformes- at a guess?).

Your best bet will be to have a look at the Fish and Wildlife Services website for the state you caught in in. They usually have very good info on the fish and fishing in each respective state...good luck!

Yes, Chris kindly sent me larger pics of the fish which I can now see!! The fish does seem long and thin and I humbly revise my former opinion - it certainly does look like a lake trout (salmonid family)!

Must get a new pair of eyes!!!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Cool guys. thanks a lot

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123