Thread: hooks vs fly design....

Default hooks vs fly design....

Hi guys

most books make a big fuss about tying your flies(depending on pattern) on certain hooks.....

how much of an affect if you dont use the right hook does this have on action...hook up rates etc????
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

The eye position (eye up or down) can play a role in how the fly rides on the water when tying dries. For wet flies, your probably looking at shank length and gape size.

PS: I never seem to have the right hook when I tie based on "recipes"
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    Hi guys

most books make a big fuss about tying your flies(depending on pattern) on certain hooks.....

how much of an affect if you dont use the right hook does this have on action...hook up rates etc????
    apart from "long shank" "short shank" and "wide gape" I use whatever hook I have lying around. My main criteria are sharpness and quality of steel
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    Hi guys

Can have a huge effect on hook up rates...

Learn from experience! Pay your schoolfees
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

in the fresh specific hooks maybe more important because the hook shapes some flies

But in the salt
    besides the obvious short shank long shank as long as the hook is strong enough and sharp enough
    I dont see the need for a specific hook

The gurus seem to like the gama sl12s all i can say is they are damn sharp and damn expensive

I used to tie all my flies on mustad 34007 and 34011 and have hooked mozzies to marlin on them they are strong need some work but can be kept as sharp as the gamas and the winner they dont rust

I hear the guys squeeling about Stainless all ready .
    fact ive hung a gama (plated hook) from the jetty and it was still going strong after 90 + days
    I dont think plated hooks are more fish friendly if a fish is going to last 90 days with a hook in his mouth he will last indefinitely

I crunch the barbs on all my flys (except snoek flies)

im currently enjoying the owner circles and the mustad xmetal circles

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG