Thread: Stealth Bomber 10' 5#

Default Stealth Bomber 10' 5#

Fished with my new 10', 5# Bomber yesterday. What a pleasure
    Short line nymphing and virtually all the 5m of line is off the water. Gave it some serious " tests" ito turning 2.5kg sm out of the willows.
    The rod is amazingly light for the backbone it has. No sore arm or wrist.
    I'm afraid my 9' & 8'6" rods are going to become backups for summer.
    I will however still take the 8'6" rod when fishing directly from the Ark in winter.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

I used a bomber 7WT on some 3 Spot Pompano/Wave Garrick this past weekend at the sea.

I picked up my new PB Pompano of around 1.5Kgs. I decided not to give any line as I was fishing 30lb at the time and it nearly folded the bomber in half, yet the Bomber held on fine and I was again impressed with the thick butt section of the bomber and the resultant power the rod holds.

To put it into a frame of reference for the freshwater guys, a 1.5Kg pompano fights harder than a 5Kg Largemouth YellowFish.

I also had a lot of fun shooting out 120' on my Teeny TS350 in two false casts and the rod cast very well with an intermediate.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Short line nymphing and virtually all the 5m of line is off the water. Gave it some serious " tests" ito turning 2.5kg sm out of the willows.
    I will however still take the 8'6" rod when fishing directly from the Ark in winter.
    Herman
    now that you have "graduated" to a 10" rod, you have to try an 11''. You might change your mind again.
    Long rods are the answer.
    Even when fishing from a Ark.
    You will notice when you mark you fly line with a 3m and 6m mark with some thread and super glue. Once you start using those marks on the retrieve you will be convinced of the benefits of a long rod.

PS what did you vote for in the SM rod poll? will you change your vote?
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Herman
    now that you have "graduated" to a 10" rod, you have to try an 11''. You might change your mind again.
    Even when fishing from a Ark.You will notice when you mark you fly line with a 3m and 6m mark with some thread and super glue. Once you start using those marks on the retrieve you will be convinced of the benefits of a long rod.

How much fishing do you do off an Ark? Why do you say it's better on one...or any boat really?

Herman
    Even when fishing from a Ark.
    You will notice when you mark you fly line with a 3m and 6m mark with some thread and super glue. Once you start using those marks on the retrieve you will be convinced of the benefits of a long rod.

Yes herman, I agree with korrie, the advantages of a long rod are more evident when fishing off an ARK. My bet is that you won't confidently go back to the 9 footers after a little experiece with the longer one.

Quote Originally Posted by flybum View Post
    I'm feeling brave and will fling a 5wt 9' bomber around the salt a bit (weather permitting) from this weekend onwards. Got a 9 wt too, 'cause i'm sure mother nature's gonna get the better of me.
    I have no principle problem with fishing a 5WT for estuary fish, the only problem is that if you run into anything over a KG, you might be in trouble. My main reason for fishing a heavier rod in estuary environments/the surf is ofcourse the benefits to be had from a heavier rod and line aiding casting heavy flies into strong winds.

Where are you off to ?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by FastAction View Post
    How much fishing do you do off an Ark? Why do you say it's better on one...or any boat really?
    I fish a lot on still waters from an Ark.
    Close to the sides and open water.
    Some bass drifting on the Breede river as well
    Some boat fishing, a shorter rod is more advantagous. Fishing for bass among structure etc.

But once you start using your long rod for extra movement in the flies. letting them "hang" etc. Imparting movements. A longer rod comes into its own. Fishing in shallows, it allows you more reach, more jiggling of the flies etc.

It is like horse riding. The more you do it, the more confidence you get. The more you realize what you can do, should be able to do etc
    But fishing with a long rod takes some getting use to. If you are use to fishing a short rod, a long rod will initially feel clumsy.

For me, most of the fishing on a boat, I would prefer a longer rod. But many other will say an #8 is the answer. Diffirent strokes for diffirent folks
    Last edited by Korrie; 17-12-08 at 05:14 PM.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    I got a new Teeny 4wt 9 footer wê!!!!!!

Grappie,congrats Herman.Can't wait to see you!!

G

I voted 10ft,Fast action, 6#. The fact that I've gone to a 5# was pure luck
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659