Thread: Prospecting for yellows, pleasant discoveries and interesting stories

Default Prospecting for yellows, pleasant discoveries and interesting stories

As I mentioned in a previous thread on the old forum, the explosion of interest in flyfishing that occured in South Africa after the movie 'A river runs through it' marked the end of the solitude and freedom that I was privileged enough to experience on all our trout streams in my youth. The increase in interest sparked the need to break the rivers up into beats to accommodate the growing demand. This infringement to my jealously guarded passion led to me seeking exclusive fly waters further afield, but this turned out to be a happy phase of my life, and marked the start of my prospecting years.

Having overcome a lot of my resentment, and enjoying the interlude with fellow like minded anglers, I have changed my mindset and I realise more and more the need to stand together to protect our limited resources, not so much from fellow anglers, but more from the authorities and powers that be, the decision makers of this country. It seems that in their interest of increasing the capacity and coffers of the gravy train, they are focusing more and more on recreational interests and are grabbing full control where they can, putting a full stop to certain activities until they in their infinite wisdom discover a way how to make money out of it. The upper Berg is a classic example of just such a thing. They now want to develope the area into a eco tourism area and until they have conducted their research, all activity in the area has been halted and access is prohibited! Our days of free fishing are gone guys. We will in future be paying for the privilege to fish there. I wonder how long it will be before they start targeting our other streams!

Anyway, I am sorry, but I seem to have digressed from my original reason for starting this thread. Getting back to the topic then, I thought we could start sharing some of our personal discoveries and perhaps share some interesting stories. The reason why I am posting this under yellows, is because this is basically what i discovered when I ventured further afield, and like I said, it has been an incredible journey of discovery!

Over time i will share some of my experiences, but i thought i would start with an interesting factual story and since i have already had so much to say, will try to keep it short and sweet.

My dear departed grandmother (fathers mother who happened to marry a 'Engelsman') Hanna Nieuwoudt was born and raised on the farm 'Doringbos', which is situated on the Doring river in the Clanwilliam area. She had lots of interesting stories to tell of her youth. They used to migrate with their flocks of sheep up and down the length of the Doring, always in search of green pastures and she got to know the river and its inhabitants intimately. She told me an interesting story about the huge fish that used to shelter in the shadows, right up against the bank in the heat of the day. Whilst lying on a ledge next to the river one day, and poking her arm into the water, she was astounded to see a huge fish approach her fingertips and inspect them quizically. Being the 'skrik vir niks' farm girl that she was, she proceeded to stroke the fish, and the fish stayed by her side for quite a while until she tried to lift it out of the water. The fish took exception to this and slipped out of her hands, and slunk back into the deeper water.

The next day, she went back. The thought of that fish had been playing on her mind all night and she thought up a clever plan to catch it. Now in those days there were no tackle shops around except in the big city, and their only transport was donkeys, but what she told me almost sounded unbelievable. I do believe her though, with my whole heart. My granny was a deeply spiritual person and was not one to tell tall stories. Getting back to the story, she went back in search of that fish with a old pair of laddered stockings which she pulled over both arms. Settling down on the same ledge, she put her arms in the water, wriggling her fingers like worms. Sure as eggs, the yellow returned, its inquisitive nature getting the better of it. stroking the fish gently as before, she managed to get her hands around it and in a quick movement tightened the grip and lifted the fish out of the water. The fish was as long as her leg!

Hard to believe I know, but hey, she's my granny, she would never lie to me......surely?

Nice story Chris, I believe it. I have spoken to a few people who claim to have tickled trout and not everyone can be lying.

Not exactly tickling trout, but two years ago I caught a nice (3lb) brown from a stretch of weedy East Coast river. After a decent fight I released the fish and it went straight to the nearest patch of weed and buried its head under the waving fronds, tail still sticking out. I moved to a pool upstream but had no luck so returned twenty minutes later. Sure enough the tail was still sticking out of the weed so I waded out, gently cradled the fish and lifted it out. On returning the fish she finally swam away. Very strange, but I do have a witness.
    Last edited by KevinE; 08-10-06 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Called you Neil, Chris!

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Our days of free fishing are gone guys. We will in future be paying for the privilege to fish there. I wonder how long it will be before they start targeting our other streams!
    I can’t remember a stream where I don’t have to pay before I fish…

Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Also true Max, everything costs these days. In the Cape we are still fortunate, we pay a minimal annual fee which allows us to fish the streams under the CPS control as much as we like with no additional charges. It is these CPS waters that I am primarily concerned about, because the land still belongs to the state.

I must say, the waters further afield, where I dont pay to fish, actually land up costing me a lot more than anywhere else, just in getting there. The price of fuel these days has become absolutely rediculous!!

5. Default

Chris, does this mean that Yellows are not really that difficult to catch?? I gather that this could have been a Clanwilliam Yellow, which according to many is quite difficult to catch (on anything except bare hands it seems)
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I am no expert Mario, but in my limited encounters with Clanwilliam yellows, I found them very easy actually. The problem is that they are so damn scarce and one cannot put it down to them being difficult to catch if they are not actually there in the first place. I visited a spot on the Olifants river with Dean Impson a few years ago and the Clans and sawfins were everywhere in this particular area. A downstream nymph produced a coconut everytime.

Dean showed me a trick on this day, a hand full of pebbles strewn over the surface of one particular dark pool brought about 15 fish out from apparently nowhere to inspect. They are very inquisitive creatures by nature. I witnessed it with my own eyes.
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 09-10-06 at 06:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    I visited a spot on the Olifants river with Dean Impson a few years ago and the Yellows and sawfins were everywhere in this particular area. A downstream nymph produced a coconut everytime.
    Intresting...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Guys, I know that this is'nt specifically about the CW yellow, but I'm very interested to find out if anyone had good yellow fishing this last weekend Although there were not many fly guys at Yellowfish Paradise on sunday I could count the number of yellows landed there by all of us on 1 hand
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659