Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Widely available material

Sorry can you please speak up?, my hearing aid's being used as a fish finder on my kick-boat...

Cheers

thanks for the tips guys. funny this invicta thing. one of the flies i love and always have in my box. just looks great. when i first started tying i was so unsure of myself and didn't think i could do it. now the best thing is hunting for materials. they are everywhere. i also have so many feathers i have found or bought, i need another 30 fly boxes (big) to house them.
    thanks and cheers

Hear, hear!

Even without my hearing aid...

Default Huh?

[QUOTE=Methos;12429]Dizzy\Gael
    They also sell stuff that the put inside strapless bra's. It is a thin piece of clear plastic\rubber. It is about 5mm wide and very thin. I saw almost the same stuff at a flyshop. They flyshops stuff is in different colours. But the clear ones should also work. 80c\pm

I thought the stuff they put inside strapless bra's are well not made unless you go to a plastic surgeon. As for thin & 5mm wide, Boet that is your own fault!

Quote Originally Posted by Gael View Post
    ... the late Jack Blackman use to tie a trout fly called the Tabby if I remember correctly (dubbing from his tabby cat)
    I have a fly called the Phoebe Fly ... soft underfur from my babe's blue persian kitty cat. The way Phoebe has to be shorn every year in summer ... I will never run out either.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfever View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Methos View Post
    Dizzy\Gael
    They also sell stuff that the put inside strapless bra's. It is a thin piece of clear plastic\rubber. It is about 5mm wide and very thin. I saw almost the same stuff at a flyshop. They flyshops stuff is in different colours. But the clear ones should also work. 80c\pm
    I thought the stuff they put inside strapless bra's are well not made unless you go to a plastic surgeon. As for thin & 5mm wide, Boet that is your own fault!
    Hehe, that sounds like border line paedophile (sp?)
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Gogga Banned User

Default something to consider perhaps........................

The Independent, (London),

For years anglers have argued over the best fly for catching a salmon. Those made from the feathers of rare birds or wool from the nether regions of a ram have been among traditional favourites. Now comes the most bizarre yet: a fly made from a woman's pubic hair.

The fly, and the apparently good results it has brought, were reported in a recent issue of the Field when its inventor sought suggestions for a name. The result has been some of the most heated correspondence in the magazine's illustrious 200-year history.

"I haven't had a postbag like it since we ran a piece about updating the Book of Common Prayer," said the editor, Jonathan Young. The fly was devised by a Field reader who had failed for 11 years to catch a salmon from Argyll's river Shiel. "I tied an outrageously colourful fly which featured a tuft of my wife's pubic hair, the theory being that pheromones might work on the old cock salmon as they do on me," he wrote. "Sure enough, on my 11th cast I hooked and landed a beautiful 4lb fish. My problem is not so much that I have run out of raw materials for my fly-tying, but what to call this superb new fly." Many possible names have already been taken by existing flies such as Hairy Mary, Woolly Bugger, Mountain Damsel, Dog Nobbler, Missionary, Appetiser, fuzzy Wuzzy, Red Badger and Hot Cat. But Field readers have rallied to the challenge. The issue out tomorrow features the editor's favourite, Pub Grub. But Mr Young said he had been swamped with ideas, including Pussy Allure, Lunar Rise, Angler's Tail, Frizzy Lizzy and Fanny's Fancy. One erudite reader suggested Magic Merkin (merkin being a pubic wig).

All the best
    Mike

hey gogga
    i nearly wet myself when i read this. i fished recently with a friend and i happened to be nailing the fish. he came over and asked what i was using. i showed him and asked what he was using. we went through what he had and i chose the one that was closest in size, next thing he says thats tied with my wifes "furry" my first reaction was eish and i nearly dropped it. put it down fast (have seen the owner of the fur) he never caught a thing.
    i think the pheromones on this one were past the sell by date.
    this really did happen.
    cheers

YellowFever - get your mind out of the gutter .

The stuff I'm really talking about is the stuff that they stick inside the bra's to prevent them sliding down and a having a kodak moment. Very thin elastic stuff. About 5mm wide and see through.

They also have turkey and ostrich feathers at Fabric city. Dyed in a myriad of colors. The turkey isn't as good as the stuff you buy in Fishing shops but since I'm a beginner fly-tyer it helps to experiment.

I tried my one crease fly yesterday that I made with the gold stickers and foam. I tried it on a sinking line for bass. On my first cast I got a hit while it was still lying on top of the water while I was peeling off line to cast.

It looked awesome when being retreived. The sinking line didn't pull it down but on the retreive the line would have sunk quite a bit and then it would pull the fly under. The fly is a bit top heave so on the pauses between strips it would float to the top. The sun was reflecting of it, and it looked like a real little fish.

On they subject of other material - Have anybody ever seen something in SA called Dura-Lar ? It is a see clear, untearable plastic\polyester. You can print on it and go nuts.

Good for wings on dragonfly imitations. This guy uses it for his dragon flies.

http://www.solarexpert.com/fishing/t...Fly-Tying.html

I tied up one on his recipe on Monday night. Will post a pic of it when I went to fetch the camera in the car. The eyes looks quite cool. A small glass bead wrapped in organza. Gives it the segemented\textured look.

Cheers

Here is a pic of a fly I tied up - Should actually be under freshwater but what the hell.

Cheers

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast